getting the values from a datalist control

ani

I have few multiple choice questions that are paginated.
The button that takes the user to the next page is a
hyperlink on a image. I am using standard <a href ><image>
tag .My aspx page contains a datalist control and I am
calling a function in between the <td> tags in the
Itemtemplate. The function basically loops associates the
answer choices to each question in a page. The anwer
choices are radio buttons , so the function returns a
string which has been concatenated to make the answer
choices appear in the form of a small table.
My datalist control has both the asp server controls
(which are labels) and the html server controls (output
string from the function) . I need to carry these values
across pages(basically I have just one web form which is
paginated). Each web page contains 3-4 questions and I
need to carry the questionid and answer (user-input) to
the next page. Someone suggested on using session
variables. But I have bunch of key-value(quest-answer
id's) pairs to be passed across. I don't think I can use
session variables. I tried using onserverclick event on
the <a href > button but it gets questionids of the next
page when the next page loads.

When I use onserverclick I have to put runat=server on the
form tag, but my javascript does not work, because it
cannot get the html control names properly.. Please help !!
I need to get the work done asap.