GG interface broken

RobG

Google Groups is broken, all I get I'd a never ending sequence of
"capcha" pages with a message "We're sorry but your computer or network
may be sending automated queries".

This is the second time in less than 12 months their groups interface
has gone to crap. Might be time to go back to a real news client.

RobG

Google Groups is broken, all I get I'd a never ending sequence of
"capcha" pages with a message "We're sorry but your computer or network
may be sending automated queries".

This is the second time in less than 12 months their groups interface
has gone to crap. Might be time to go back to a real news client.

It's fixed again, let the spam flow...

Garrett Smith

RobG said:
It's fixed again,

No, it is not fixed.

It may be barely functional, but it is not fixed. Look at the source.
Look at all those duplicate ids -- and of the most obviously bad ids
that nobody should ever use, like id="body", id="form".

The only thing it would be useful for is archives, but at that, even, it
fails abominably with search often failing to result in threads that
actually exist, and often other times resulting in the thread being
found in a different language than the one being searched in.

Google quote, snagged from IE Blog:

| Here’s a recent one from a GMail engineer:
| Sometimes we have to do browser detection, and we tend to group all
| IEs together, with the occasional branch based on version. Should we
| treat IE9 entirely differently? Is it intended to behave closer to
| webkit/gecko than IE7/8?

This is pretty obvious indication that the GMail team hasn't a clue of
what they are doing here.

Clues given in the last 10 years:
<http://www.jibbering.com/faq/notes/detect-browser/>
<http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/using-capability-detection/>

Closure Compiler, googles proud javascript tool, fails to parse a
program correctly, changes program behavior, and fails to provide
notification nonstandard syntax (namely the "function statement").

When presented with the problems with long and careful, totally
non-hostile explanations they retort with sarcasm, insults, and personal
attacks.

The only thing worse than code that sucks, is an attitude like that.
let the spam flow...
Oh it will.

David Mark

Garrett said:
No, it is not fixed.

It may be barely functional, but it is not fixed. Look at the source.
Look at all those duplicate ids -- and of the most obviously bad ids
that nobody should ever use, like id="body", id="form".

The only thing it would be useful for is archives, but at that, even, it
fails abominably with search often failing to result in threads that
actually exist, and often other times resulting in the thread being
found in a different language than the one being searched in.

Google quote, snagged from IE Blog:

| Here’s a recent one from a GMail engineer:
| Sometimes we have to do browser detection, and we tend to group all
| IEs together, with the occasional branch based on version. Should we
| treat IE9 entirely differently? Is it intended to behave closer to
| webkit/gecko than IE7/8?

This is pretty obvious indication that the GMail team hasn't a clue of
what they are doing here.

What else is new? Oddly enough, those guys are considered Gods by the
Dojo team. That's what total ignorance will do for you.
Clues given in the last 10 years:
<http://www.jibbering.com/faq/notes/detect-browser/>
<http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/using-capability-detection/>

Closure Compiler, googles proud javascript tool, fails to parse a
program correctly, changes program behavior, and fails to provide
notification nonstandard syntax (namely the "function statement").

And the library itself is warmed over Dojo (the kiss of death).
When presented with the problems with long and careful, totally
non-hostile explanations they retort with sarcasm, insults, and personal
attacks.

They have something to hide and they know it. See also: jQuery, Dojo,
etc. They are all paranoid because they can't put their finger on why
their stuff is so flaky.
The only thing worse than code that sucks, is an attitude like that.

Aw, UR just an enemy of open source and just jealous coz nobody uses
your stupid library. What a jerk! :)

Ivan S

Google Groups is broken, all I get I'd a never ending sequence of
"capcha" pages with a message "We're sorry but your computer or network
may be sending automated queries".

This is the second time in less than 12 months their groups interface
has gone to crap. Might be time to go back to a real news client.

Hi Rob.

I think that's not problem with GG only. I had same problem when doing
Google search about week ago. I don't know what was the problem, but
it doesn't happen any more.

Ivan

Jukka Lahtinen

RobG said:
This is the second time in less than 12 months their groups interface
has gone to crap. Might be time to go back to a real news client.

Has it ever been anything BUT crap?

David Mark

Jukka said:
Has it ever been anything BUT crap?

No. Google, oddly enough, seems to be incapable of competent front-end
engineering. Unfortunately, this has led to the rallying cry of "good
enough for Google" for similarly incapable developers (e.g. why validate?)