Ghost icon on server

wayne

cwdjrxyz said:
Thanks for the 2 suggestions. I don't have another suitable system to
slave the drive to. However using the Recovery Console likely will be
possible.

I have started looking at the registry, and I have found something
interesting there. Looking at
HKEY_Current_USER\Software\Microsoft\Search Assistant\ACMru\5603\ there
are 4 key entries with numbers as names, all of type REG_SZ and with
data values of the type MOVIE.mpg, .mpg, MOVIE, and .vob . However a
search of the C-drive turns up only the Ghost file "MOVIE" of zero byte
size. There was a MOVIE.mpg file at one time when the file was being
processed to convert to .vob and other DVD files, and the computer
crashed when doing this. I am considering deleting the MOVIE.mpg, .mpg,
and .vob keys one at a time to see if this helps. Of course I will
backup up the registry and set a restore point just before doing this
each time. It appears that the icon for the ghost file is under control
of the MOVIE key. The MOVIE.mpg key might be pointing to some other
data used by defrag that was not deleted after recovery from the crash,
so the defrag report still thinks it has a 4 GB movie file, but of
course fails to defrag it if it is not there. This is just a wild
guess.

It looks like your server could be Linux based, is this correct? If so,
you could delete the directory that the file is in (I believe that was
your original intention) with rm -rf path/directory

rm is remove and -rf means recursive (everything inside the directory)
and force (do it even if there are errors).

hth

--
Wayne
http://www.glenmeadows.us

Jonathan N. Little

wayne wrote:
It looks like your server could be Linux based, is this correct? If so,
you could delete the directory that the file is in (I believe that was
your original intention) with rm -rf path/directory

rm is remove and -rf means recursive (everything inside the directory)
and force (do it even if there are errors).

Except I doubt that her hosting company allows here access to the shell.

wayne

Jonathan said:
wayne wrote:

Except I doubt that her hosting company allows here access to the shell.

I may have missed something in the preceding posts, but I thought she
mentioned using DELE?

You are probably correct though.

I failed to caution about the immediacy and non-reversible attributes
of using this command. rm -rf / can remove everything on your webserver
in an instant (there is no "Are you sure?") requiring the ISP to reload
your site directories to make it usable again.

--
Wayne
http://www.glenmeadows.us
With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things
and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil
things, that takes religion.
—Steven Weinberg

cwdjrxyz

wayne said:
It looks like your server could be Linux based, is this correct? If so,
you could delete the directory that the file is in (I believe that was
your original intention) with rm -rf path/directory

rm is remove and -rf means recursive (everything inside the directory)
and force (do it even if there are errors).

The quotes from me concern a ghost movie file on a computer with
Windows OS and have nothing to do with a server. Jonathan Little's
quotes you give are directed toward that problem, and my response to
him concerns this subject. The original poster's problem concerns a
ghost icon on the server. I assume your comment is directed to the
original poster's problem on the server. I do use a Unix-Penguin-Apache
:) server with extensive access through a control panel, but this has
no bearing on my problem on the computer.

wayne

cwdjrxyz said:
The quotes from me concern a ghost movie file on a computer with
Windows OS and have nothing to do with a server. Jonathan Little's
quotes you give are directed toward that problem, and my response to
him concerns this subject. The original poster's problem concerns a
ghost icon on the server. I assume your comment is directed to the
original poster's problem on the server. I do use a Unix-Penguin-Apache
:) server with extensive access through a control panel, but this has
no bearing on my problem on the computer.

Well! For problems with files on a Windows computer, you might run some
spybot programs and anti-virus and perhaps even a root kit detector. My
15 yo had several files that could not be deleted because they were
being created and accessed by a rogue program (from clicking on flashy
things on the top of web pages).

If a file is being used by a program, you could boot into "safe mode,
dos prompt" then search for the file if unsure of the location with dir
{filename or part of with wildcard) /s the "/s" will search all sub
directories. Once you are sure of the location, a "del path/filename"
or del path/part filename*" will quickly dispatch the file. I have used
this method many times whenever I could not delete a file from Windows.

If this is the problem, you should find the program that created the
file as it most likely will create another.

hth

--
Wayne
http://www.glenmeadows.us
With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things
and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil
things, that takes religion.
—Steven Weinberg

dorayme

Jonathan said:
wayne wrote:

Except I doubt that her hosting company allows here access to the shell.

Well, anyway... in case anyone is wondering... she ... ahem .... fired
off an email in quite a manly way and said hey mate and stuff and how
about ridding the file please and it was done. She, apparantly, did not
have the right permissions. She puzzled the server people how it got
there, they were thinking it very unusual for a file not to naturally
inherit the folder permissions in this case. Anyway, thanks all for
ideas and stuff...

Jonathan N. Little

Well, anyway... in case anyone is wondering... she ... ahem .... fired
off an email in quite a manly way and said hey mate and stuff and how
about ridding the file please and it was done. She, apparantly, did not
have the right permissions. She puzzled the server people how it got
there, they were thinking it very unusual for a file not to naturally
inherit the folder permissions in this case. Anyway, thanks all for
ideas and stuff...

Well, in my WS_FTP Pro I can set file permissions and in *nix file
systems is is possible to change the file so the owner cannot deleted
it, among other things...

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
Well, in my WS_FTP Pro I can set file permissions and in *nix file
systems is is possible to change the file so the owner cannot deleted
it, among other things...

Well, it is solved for now. I might need more sophisticated
ghostbuster weaponry than Cyberduck (the Mac FTP program) has on
board...