gnome2 and Gtk::TreeModel

Aredridel

--=-0lNtKKfzzRMYDnRBezxB

Is anyone out there using Gtk::TreeModel in a ruby app, and have some
code they'd be willing to share? I can't quite make heads or tails of
the docs, and the default implementation of TreeModel (TreeStore) is too
slow when you have as many thousands of nodes in it as I want to put
there.

Ari

--=-0lNtKKfzzRMYDnRBezxB

0
--=-0lNtKKfzzRMYDnRBezxB--

Masao Mutoh

Hi,

Is anyone out there using Gtk::TreeModel in a ruby app, and have some
code they'd be willing to share?

* Samples: gtk/sample/gtk-demo/, gtk/sample/testgtk/, gtk/sample/misc/treeview.rb
* rbbr: http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?rbbr
* XML Tree Viewer: http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?XML+Tree+Viewer
I can't quite make heads or tails of
the docs, and the default implementation of TreeModel (TreeStore) is too
slow when you have as many thousands of nodes in it as I want to put
there.

If you haven't use GLib::Object#freeze_notify and GLib::Object#thaw_notify yet,
try them. It may improve the speed.

BTW,
Do you build many thousands of nodes at once?
I think it's not good idea even if you develop it in C.
If the tree becomes so big, it's better to load the children
(don't include Grandchildren) when the parent is expanded.

Or, you can use Thread,
though I don't like to use Thread for this purpose
because it'll occupy CPU usage.

David Espada

El lunes 08 de septiembre, Masao Mutoh escribió:
If you haven't use GLib::Object#freeze_notify and
GLib::Object#thaw_notify yet, try them. It may improve the speed.

And where are they used?

I don't find any docu in Ruby-gnome2 or in Gtk webs... :(

Aredridel

--=-8lTw3+qd5b3oLCoRAdOI

=20
On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 10:18:53 +0900

=20
* Samples: gtk/sample/gtk-demo/, gtk/sample/testgtk/, gtk/sample/misc/tre=
eview.rb

None use TreeModel -- they all use TreeStore, which won't work well for
me.
If you haven't use GLib::Object#freeze_notify and GLib::Object#thaw_notif= y yet,
try them. It may improve the speed.=20

I will do that.
=20
BTW,
Do you build many thousands of nodes at once?
I think it's not good idea even if you develop it in C.
If the tree becomes so big, it's better to load the children
(don't include Grandchildren) when the parent is expanded.

Actually, it's a list interface -- no child nodes at all. I'm going to
be filtering the list as part of the UI, but there are times the whole
list will be loaded.
Or, you can use Thread,=20
though I don't like to use Thread for this purpose
because it'll occupy CPU usage.

That's something I'll see when I get there.

--=-8lTw3+qd5b3oLCoRAdOI

0
--=-8lTw3+qd5b3oLCoRAdOI--

Aredridel

--=-PD+Yj+tvuTmjgkWrShZG

=20
On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 10:18:53 +0900

=20
* Samples: gtk/sample/gtk-demo/, gtk/sample/testgtk/, gtk/sample/misc/tre= eview.rb
* rbbr: http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?rbbr
* XML Tree Viewer: http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?XML+Tree+Vi=
ewer

All of them use TreeStore, not the TreeModel module...=20

I'm interested in making my own model that uses an SQL backend to
display data very dynamically.

Ari

--=-PD+Yj+tvuTmjgkWrShZG

0
--=-PD+Yj+tvuTmjgkWrShZG--

Aredridel

--=-rR/RDuCIinLrwi/91fzo

Viewer

As a side note, rbbr is one nice tool, and fast and well-written.
Congratulations!

Anyone doing develoment and having gnome2 available would do well to
install ruby-gnome2 and rbbr.

Ari

--=-rR/RDuCIinLrwi/91fzo

0