good books/websites on javascript/dhtml/dom/css

mr_burns

hi there,

i would like a book that will explain concepts of javascript and dhtml
instead of, for example, ten tutorials on how to do specific things in
js or dhtml.

ideally a book thats can explain from the basics of javascript, to
more complex things such as dhtml and dom onto things like creating
javascript objects (if that is possible, but u get the idea). rather
than this is how you make a drop down menu tutorial; this is how you
create a number game tutorial; this is how you create a animated
cursor effect. i would prefer something that would explain each
element of javascript/dom/dhtml/css and allow the developer to use
their problem solving skills to firstly plan out how the script will
operate and then combine the elements of each section to do the
required task.

anyway, i bought a book called dynamic html: the html developers guide
by jeff rule and didnt think that it gave me a good understanding of
javascript/dhtml but instead encouraged me to take the code to do what
it did for granted without explaining exactly what each line did (no
offence jeff, lol)

i have a good understanding of javascript and programming so not
wanting anything too beginner. also, i tried having a look for web
sites but could only find basic javascript tutorials (ie. if
conditions) or pre written scripts too complex for me to alter when im
looking for tutorials that will, for example, give me the concepts of
layers and how different things can be done with them (ie. clipping)
and then let me use that knowledge to determine how to create my
desired script.

well, this post is gettin a little long. hope yous got the idea. any
help? cheers

burnsy

Joakim Braun

mr_burns said:
hi there,

i would like a book that will explain concepts of javascript and dhtml
instead of, for example, ten tutorials on how to do specific things in
js or dhtml.
<snip>

My perennial tip is the deceptively low-key "Dynamic HTML" by Danny Goodman.
Not for programming beginners, but not rocket science either. A great,
comprehensive reference.

Joakim Braun