Good cross-platform IDE / multiple document text editor for ruby / rails?

Jamal Hansen

On Linux, I can strongly recommend Kate or KDevelop. Maybe someday (with
QT4) they will be available on Windows, too.

I made the move to Linux on my home PC about 3 months ago and felt
completely lost in the text editor department until I tried Kate. It
is not cross platform, though on windows (i.e at work) I use UltraEdit
which is very similar in functionality.

Cristóferson Bueno

------=_Part_1615_6800201.1124940348018

UniRed works well with Ruby too.

http://www.esperanto.mv.ru/UniRed/ENG/index.html

=20

=20
I made the move to Linux on my home PC about 3 months ago and felt
completely lost in the text editor department until I tried Kate. It
is not cross platform, though on windows (i.e at work) I use UltraEdit
which is very similar in functionality.
=20
=20

--=20
Ruby is the digital equivalent of a big smile!
http://www.ruby-lang.org

Crist=F3ferson Bueno - Ipatinga/MG.
www.conversadebar.org <http://www.conversadebar.org>

------=_Part_1615_6800201.1124940348018--

tony summerfelt

Brock Weaver wrote on 8/24/2005 10:51 AM:
* Debugging = not needed.

can't speak for anyone else, but i'm envious :)
* Teh snappy. Startup time doesn't matter, text editing does
I've been leaning towards Eclipse, but haven't tried it out yet -- any
ruby / rails plugins for it?

i'm not sure i'd use 'snappy' and 'eclipse' together :)

Randy Kramer

Brock Weaver wrote on 8/24/2005 10:51 AM:

i'm not sure i'd use 'snappy' and 'eclipse' together :)

And, Off Point for this post, I guess if I was going to ask for a snappy
whatever, I'd say something about the environment, like snappy on a system
running a 233 MHz Pentium, 256 MB of RAM, running a mix of processes
typically including 5 open edit windows, 10 browser windows, ...

(I guess I'm getting carried away, but I'm sure a lot of developers on their 3
GHz, 1 GB systems think their app is snappy, but then I run it and ;-( (My
system is 500 MHZ with 384 MB of RAM, and a typical mixture of open windows
quite a bit larger than mentioned above--4 open browser with 10-15 tabs each
is not unusual, plus 6-7 konsole "tabs", 3-6 nedit windows, kmail, ...)

regards,
Randy Kramer

Randy Kramer

Maybe OT, but one possible issue with such cross-posting is that not
everyone is subscribed to both lists , so replies are not seen by everyone.

You are absolutely right that that is one of the problems with crossposting.
The typical ways I consider dealing with it include posting my replies to
both (all) lists, but just as crossposting is considered offensive by many,
crossposting replies may be just as or even more offensive.

Do you have any alternate solutions (presuming there was a valid reason for
the crossposting in the first place, which I feel there sometimes is)?

regards,
Randy Kramer

James Britt

Randy Kramer wrote:
Do you have any alternate solutions (presuming there was a valid reason for
the crossposting in the first place, which I feel there sometimes is)?
Um, no, other than to perhaps make a point of periodically summarizing
discussion points from the multiple lists so people not subscribed to
all lists can keep track.

James

Chris Martin

On Linux, I can strongly recommend Kate or KDevelop. Maybe someday (with
QT4) they will be available on Windows, too.

I've added basic rails syntax support for Editors that make use of
kate part (Kate, Kdevelop, Quanta Plus)
There was a recent discussion (w/ instructions, and syntax file) of that he=
re:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.quanta.user/7286

I hope to start work this weekend on adding document structure view,
and auto-complete, to Quanta Plus (kdewebdev ide).

I've heard there are some ports of kde apps for windows, never used
them though. When I'm forced to use Windows, I use FreeRIDE. On *nix,
Quanta or kdevelop win hands down, depending on the app you're coding.
(Rails->Quanta, Other ruby programming->kdevelop)

These can be compiled on OS X, via fink. Although < 10.4 there's no
copy/paste between Aqua and X11

ps. Cross posting is nicely readable via gmail, assuming users are on
both lists. Which why would you not be?! ;)

--=20
Chris Martin
Web Developer
Open Source & Web Standards Advocate
http://www.chriscodes.com/

zimba-tm

What I suggest is that people don't cross-post, but rather choose one
list that has the bigger chance to answer the question they have. If
the thread dies with no satisfying answer, then start a new one on the
second ML with a summary of the preceding discussion included.

=20
That makes sense, and maybe we should even start suggesting that as an
obligation of any one that starts a cross posted thread. (Not sure how f= ar
we'd get, but I might start out any reply with "Thanks for cross posting
that, please keep us informed of any interesting posts from the other
list(s). ;-)
=20
Of course, if I start the thread, I may not be so eager to keep both list= s up
to date. Maybe a summary (oh, that's what you said ;-), at strategic tim= es,
one being when I feel my question is answered or whatever. (And if
discussion continues or is going off on some tangent(s), maybe mention th= at.)
=20
regards,
Randy Kramer
=20
=20

--=20
Cheers,
zimba

http://zimba.oree.ch

Brock Weaver

Thank you everybody for the active discussion.

Again, I apologize for initially cross-posting this thread. I will
not do it again.

Zimba, to which list would you have posted this particular topic?

--
Cheers,
zimba

--=20
Brock Weaver
[OBC]Technique

zimba-tm

On 25/08/05 said:
Zimba, to which list would you have posted this particular topic?

I would have posted on the rails ML first.
Both ML are about ruby, so there are people on both that uses ruby
IDEs. But rails may have specific extensions that we don't know here.

--=20
Cheers,
zimba

http://zimba.oree.ch

tony summerfelt

Randy Kramer wrote on 8/25/2005 11:19 AM:
And, Off Point for this post, I guess if I was going to ask for a snappy
whatever, I'd say something about the environment, like snappy on a system
running a 233 MHz Pentium, 256 MB of RAM, running a mix of processes
typically including 5 open edit windows, 10 browser windows, ...

then i think it was relevant. i've tried all the ide's on a PII/350
with plenty of ram. i found jedit, eclipse, mondrian, and freeride
unsable. arachno-ruby seemed to have problems on win2k on that system.

vim worked great (and was 'snappy') but it's editor not really an ide

i've tried all the above on a 2gig system with a 1gig of ram on xp.
eclipse was still unusable, jedit was 'slowish'. i'm assuming it's
because those two were java based.

coudln't get mondrian installed/working, freeride was usable, but
seemed to be chugging. i settled on arachno-ruby.

if i need quickie ruby code i'll fire up vim or boxer
system is 500 MHZ with 384 MB of RAM,

i'd be suprised if you were happy with the performance of eclipse,
jedit or freeride. features of those ide's aside, i found it painful
to write any serious code with.

Randy Kramer

Randy Kramer wrote on 8/25/2005 11:19 AM:

i'd be suprised if you were happy with the performance of eclipse,
jedit or freeride. features of those ide's aside, i found it painful
to write any serious code with.

Thanks! (I use nedit, works great!)

Randy Kramer

tony summerfelt

Randy Kramer wrote on 8/26/2005 1:45 PM:
Thanks! (I use nedit, works great!)

ah, i thought you were looking for a cross-platform ide...

i've just jumped through a couple of hoops trying nedit for windows.
imho, not worth it to write ruby code with on windows...

Randy Kramer

Randy Kramer wrote on 8/26/2005 1:45 PM:

ah, i thought you were looking for a cross-platform ide...

Ahh, sorry for the confusion, that was the OP (somewhere back in the dawn of
prehistory?)

(But, (as I mentioned previously) nedit does work on Windows and Mac as long
as X is available.

regards,
Randy Kramer

Lothar Scholz

Hello Randy,

RK> And, Off Point for this post, I guess if I was going to ask for a snappy
RK> whatever, I'd say something about the environment, like snappy on a system
RK> running a 233 MHz Pentium, 256 MB of RAM, running a mix of processes
RK> typically including 5 open edit windows, 10 browser windows, ...

RK> (I guess I'm getting carried away, but I'm sure a lot of developers on their 3
RK> GHz, 1 GB systems think their app is snappy, but then I run it and ;-( (My
RK> system is 500 MHZ with 384 MB of RAM, and a typical mixture of open windows
RK> quite a bit larger than mentioned above--4 open browser with 10-15 tabs each
RK> is not unusual, plus 6-7 konsole "tabs", 3-6 nedit windows, kmail, ...)

Sounds like a challenge. But please contact me, if you want to
participate in a little experiment.

I would like to prepare a special optimnized version of ArachnoRuby for you
that runs on such slow machines. It will contain no debugging code at all.
I did this in the past for someone who tried it on a 450 Apple G4 Cube,
and i worked snappy - except that the MacOSX port is not very bugfree
at the moment.

Gaston Garcia

------=_Part_541_14790033.1125101197285

http://www.vim.org