Good cross-platform IDE / multiple document text editor for ruby / rails?

Dominik Bathon

How does the keyword completion in vim work?

Check out :help completion:

Completion can be done for:

1. Whole lines |i_CTRL-X_CTRL-L|
2. keywords in the current file |i_CTRL-X_CTRL-N|
3. keywords in 'dictionary' |i_CTRL-X_CTRL-K|
4. keywords in 'thesaurus', thesaurus-style |i_CTRL-X_CTRL-T|
5. keywords in the current and included files |i_CTRL-X_CTRL-I|
6. tags |i_CTRL-X_CTRL-]|
7. file names |i_CTRL-X_CTRL-F|
8. definitions or macros |i_CTRL-X_CTRL-D|
9. Vim command-line |i_CTRL-X_CTRL-V|
10. keywords in 'complete' |i_CTRL-N|

But I don't like the CTRL-X_CTRL-* key combinations, so I use SuperTab:

http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3D182

From this website:

description=09
Use your tab key to do all your completion in insert mode!
The script remembers the last completion type, and applies that.
Eg.: You want to enter /usr/local/lib/povray3/
You type (in insert mode):
/u<C-x><C-f>/l<Tab><Tab><Tab>/p<Tab>/i<Tab>
You can also manipulate the completion type used by changing g:complType =
=20
variable.

I mainly use it in mode 2. It works great for ruby.

Dominik

Simon Strandgaard

RK> * I'm looking for an editing component (widget, control, ...) for = a project
RK> I'd like to do
=20
I think there is not very much except Scintilla.
I've seen a Delphi component some time ago written for a php editor,
but it wasn't under heavy development and missed a lot of features.
Don't know if Simon found some time to work on this "aeditor"
component, which is 100% ruby (I'm not sure if this is a good idea,
because hard to get it snappy).
[snip]

Sorry, AEditor is completely dead for this moment (I have converted to
the dark side, now using a commercial editor which currently suits my needs=
).
AEditor never really got encapsulated into a reusable widget.
This idea still facinates me..=20

Randy Kramer

Sorry, AEditor is completely dead for this moment (I have converted to
the dark side, now using a commercial editor which currently suits my
needs). AEditor never really got encapsulated into a reusable widget.
This idea still facinates me..

Simon,

Thanks for the information (won't have to try chasing it down ;-)

regards,
Randy Kramer

Randy Kramer

Randy, how does folding work in nedit? Are there some published macros
somewhere?

See http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/NmTWikiFold, I think it's all
explained fairly well there. (And published there as well.)
I'm curious where the folded text goes? Long lines?

Exactly. The macros replace selected \n's with \f's. The lines ending in \f
don't wrap, and thus extend far off to the right. (They also switch the
nedit wrap mode from continuous to none when folded (and back to continuous
when not folded.)

If nedit had a good means to hide text, I'd use that to hide the text instead
of folding it.

As mentioned on the WikiLearn page, I got the idea for the general approach
(\f in place of \n) from earlier macros created by others.

regards,
Randy Kramer

tony summerfelt

Lothar Scholz wrote on 8/27/2005 9:30 PM:
At the moment i see that there is heavy feature demand from two different
camps, the one that want to add more ruby specific features (mostly
this are the java converting guys)

i think i'm in the camp of more ruby specfic features. i registered it
as a ruby ide. there would be too many changes (and/or features) for
me to use it as a general editor.

back in the dos days i used to use the ide's for each compiler i was
working with (turbo basic, quickbasic, turbo pascal,turbo C) i jumped
around them easily enough.

i prefer an ide geared towards a specific language. i'd probably be
using arachno perl had the dev work continued (i use komodo for that now)

Lothar Scholz

Hello tony,

ts> i think i'm in the camp of more ruby specfic features. i registered it
ts> as a ruby ide. there would be too many changes (and/or features) for
ts> me to use it as a general editor.

Yes, i'm not trying to do a general editor.
But there is a set of files that every ruby programmer might need:

- datafiles: XML, YAML, Ini
- source code: Ruby, ERuby
- extensions: C, C++
- webfiles: HTML, XHTML, CSS, Javascript
- database: SQL

I will not try to support more then these basic file types.

ts> back in the dos days i used to use the ide's for each compiler i was
ts> working with (turbo basic, quickbasic, turbo pascal,turbo C) i jumped
ts> around them easily enough.

tony summerfelt

Lothar Scholz wrote on 8/29/2005 10:58 AM:
But there is a set of files that every ruby programmer might need:
- datafiles: XML, YAML, Ini
- webfiles: HTML, XHTML, CSS, Javascript

i'd find xml and html specific features handy. as it is now i do all
that with another editor, but i'd use arachno-ruby instead if they had
specific features for these...