good hard copy c reference

Anthony Irwin

Hi all,

I spend a quite bit of time each day traveling to work on public
transport and thought it might be nice to read through a c standards
book during that time.

I I have the Herbert Schildt C complete reference which I have been
told many times is a pile of crap so I don't really want to start
reading it.

I was wondering which hard copy (meaning a book) C reference is
recommended. Something with code examples would be nice but anything
good that you know about would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin

Ian Collins

Anthony said:
I was wondering which hard copy (meaning a book) C reference is
recommended. Something with code examples would be nice but anything
good that you know about would be appreciated.
K&R2.

CBFalconer

Anthony said:
I spend a quite bit of time each day traveling to work on public
transport and thought it might be nice to read through a c standards
book during that time.

I I have the Herbert Schildt C complete reference which I have been
told many times is a pile of crap so I don't really want to start
reading it.

I was wondering which hard copy (meaning a book) C reference is
recommended. Something with code examples would be nice but anything
good that you know about would be appreciated.

The C standard part is fine, except I understand he omitted a
page. However it is an obsolete standard today (C90 rather than
C99). The crap is the part Schildt wrote.

Richard Heathfield

CBFalconer said:
The C standard part is fine,

No, it isn't. You're referring to his "Annotated ANSI C Standard",
whereas Mr Irwin is referring to his "C - The Complete Reference".
However it is an obsolete standard today (C90 rather than
C99).

No, it isn't. C90 is still the de facto standard in the C programming
world. C99 hasn't replaced C90 any more than skipping has replaced
running.
The crap is the part Schildt wrote.

But I cannot bring myself to disagree with you here.

Roland Pibinger

I spend a quite bit of time each day traveling to work on public
transport and thought it might be nice to read through a c standards
book during that time.

Harbison & Steele 'C: A Reference Manual'.
A good introductory C book (but not a reference) is Kochan
'Programming in C'.

Best regards,
Roland Pibinger

Anthony Irwin

Ian said:

Hi,

I already have k&r2 and still going through it, I quite like it so far.

I also got programming pearls se by Jon Bentley which I have not gown
through yet but I hope its a good read. Has anyone had any experience
with it?

Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin

Chris Dollin

Anthony said:
I also got programming pearls se by Jon Bentley which I have not gown
through yet but I hope its a good read. Has anyone had any experience
with it?

S'excellent.

--
Chris Dollin
RIP John "BNF, Fortran, FP" Backus 3Dec1924 - 17Mar2007

Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks RG12 1HN
Registered No: 690597 England

bytebro

I spend a quite bit of time each day traveling to work on public
transport and thought it might be nice to read through a c standards
book during that time.

It's not strictly a C standards book, but once you've worked your way
through the other suggestions, I'd suggest a thorough read of Peter
van der Linden's "Expert C Programming - Deep C Secrets" (ISBN
013177429-8). IMHO, it's useful, interesting, entertaining, and
amusing, which is more than can be said of a lot of tech books.

Roberto Waltman

Anthony said:
...which hard copy (meaning a book) C reference
is recommended. Something with code examples
would be nice but anything good that you know
about would be appreciated.

"C, a Reference Manual" - Harbison & Steele

With a different focus:

"The Standard C Library" - Plauger

Or the standard itself from the ANSI store.
($30 when I bought it last year.)
Not what a literary critic would call "engaging"
or "riveting", but interesting nevertheless. ;)

Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group,
return address is invalid ]

CBFalconer

Army1987 said:
Too bad that today not even gcc is a completely C99-conforming
compiler. http://gcc.gnu.org/c99status.html

According to
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/C_Programming/Weaknesses_of_C#_ref-0,
there is apparently only one working C99 compiler, and I've never
heard about it anywhere else.

Practically speaking, there probably does not exist a working C90
compiler, in that all software has bugs, possibly undiscovered.

Please do not remove attributions for material you quote. Those
are the initial lines that say "joe wrote:" or similar.