good way to set cross-platform development with version control

chewie54

Hi All,

I'm working on a CAD type application that can be used on Windows,
Linux, and Macs. I have a laptop that dual boots with Windows XP or
Ubuntu Linux and I also have a new iMac.

I want to setup the project directories so that maybe I can access the
source from any machine to compile and test the application.

Would it be possible to setup a version control repository ( maybe
subversion) so all the machines could access the source code and
supporting application files?

How do other cross-platform developers deal with this situation?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Lew

Roedy said:
Would it be possible to setup a version control repository ( maybe
subversion [sic]) so all the machines could access the source code and
supporting application files?

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/versioncontrol.html

In short, CVS, Subversion and the other major players set up version control
repositories that not only can be reached on the LAN, but on the WAN (i.e.,
over the Web).

Version control would be pretty worthless if you couldn't do that, since its
main use case is for team projects.

That said, I use CVS for even my one-person projects. I am my own teammate in
that scenario - and I sure do appreciate the ability to back off versions,
track changes, and deploy specific snapshots.

Anyway, bottom line, every useful version control system (and many of the less
useful ones, like ClearCase or the MKS offering) has network accessibility as
one of its most fundamental features. So, OP, yes to your question.

Have a go at the documentation - it's pretty remarkable how much information
one can glean from the manual.

<http://subversion.tigris.org/>
<http://ximbiot.com/cvs/manual/>