Graphic libraries

cantide5ga

I simply want to know a preferred graphics library is for C++. I am
using 2005 Visual C++. I generally don't post anything but specific
coding questions, but everyone has helped so much in the past, I
figured I'd check here in addition to my other searches.

Books of recent past spoke of some versions of Borland C++ having a
graphics.h... but the most recent version of the compiler has no
reference to it.

I also stumbled over GrWin graphics library, but am having a difficult
time interfacing with it.

Or what I want may be right under my nose with my Visual Studio C++.
Thanks in advanced.

Victor Bazarov

cantide5ga said:
I simply want to know a preferred graphics library is for C++.

No such thing.
I am
using 2005 Visual C++.

Consider posting your question to 'microsoft.public.vc.language'
then.
I generally don't post anything but specific
coding questions, but everyone has helped so much in the past, I
figured I'd check here in addition to my other searches.

That's not a good reason to post.
Books of recent past spoke of some versions of Borland C++ having a
graphics.h... but the most recent version of the compiler has no
reference to it.

There must have been a reason for them to remove it...
I also stumbled over GrWin graphics library, but am having a difficult
time interfacing with it.

I am unfamiliar with GrWin. Sounds complicated, if even you have
problems.
Or what I want may be right under my nose with my Visual Studio C++.

OpenGL. DirectX. Plenty of other Windows-based graphics packages,
but they are all off-topic here.

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

Victor Bazarov:
No such thing.

Of course there is, I think you'll find that a majority of competent C++
programmers use a minority of cross-platform GUI libraries, Qt and
xWindows being two of them.

Or if he's talking about 3D computer game kind of graphics, OpenGL is the
only cross-platform library I've heard much talk about.

Victor Bazarov

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
Victor Bazarov:

Of course there is, I think you'll find that a majority of competent
C++ programmers use a minority of cross-platform GUI libraries, Qt and
xWindows being two of them.

Nonsense. GUI is not "graphics" in the sense my industry (CAD) talks
about libraries.
Or if he's talking about 3D computer game kind of graphics, OpenGL is
the only cross-platform library I've heard much talk about.

If you haven't heard of any other, it doesn't mean they don't exist.

Besides...

If the OP wanted "to know *a* preferred" library, then each of us can
reply back with our preference and no real answer will come out of that
since any commercial or free library you can think of would be someone's
preferred one.

If the OP acutally wanted to know *the* preferred library, there can be
no such thing since C++ programmers around the world simple cannot use
only one graphic library since none of those cover all the platforms
C++ programmers have to work with.

The OP needs to ask his question in the newsgroup dedicated to his
platform of choice.

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

Victor Bazarov:
Nonsense. GUI is not "graphics" in the sense my industry (CAD) talks
about libraries.

I wonder what the G in GUI stands for?

If you haven't heard of any other, it doesn't mean they don't exist.

Correct, but it's a good indicator of whether they're shit or not.

Besides...

If the OP wanted "to know *a* preferred" library, then each of us can
reply back with our preference and no real answer will come out of that
since any commercial or free library you can think of would be someone's
preferred one.

Oh God you really do have a stick up your ass. If I ask ten people
whether they prefer tea or coffee, and eight of them say tea, then I've
gained information. Take a hike with your semantics as to whether "a"
denotes the indefinite article or not in this instance.

If you're not going to tone down your I'm-high-on-crystal-meth
demeanour then don't bother talking to me. You're about as pleasant to
converse with as any other person with a superiority complex.

If the OP acutally wanted to know *the* preferred library, there can be
no such thing since C++ programmers around the world simple cannot use
only one graphic library since none of those cover all the platforms C++
programmers have to work with.

Not all humans can drink liquids but seeing as how a ****-load of
people can, I think it'd still be useful to ask whether it'll be tea or
coffee.

The OP needs to ask his question in the newsgroup dedicated to his
platform of choice.

Nope, the OP is wise to ask C++ programmers which graphics libraries
they use.

Alf P. Steinbach

* cantide5ga:
I simply want to know a preferred graphics library is for C++. I am
using 2005 Visual C++. I generally don't post anything but specific
coding questions, but everyone has helped so much in the past, I
figured I'd check here in addition to my other searches.

Not that I would necessarily be able to answer the question, but it
would help greatly if you could elaborate on what kind of graphics
(bitmapped or vector, 2D or 3D, interactive or not) you want to
generate. Then perhaps someone could answer.

Or what I want may be right under my nose with my Visual Studio C++.

Yes it is, in all cases mentioned above, but not in a simple to use way.

Thanks in advanced.

Ah, advanced.

Cheers, & hth.,

- Alf

David Harmon

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 00:27:53 GMT in comp.lang.c++, Tomás Ó hÉilidhe
I wonder what the G in GUI stands for?

Gingerbread.

Gingerbread-house User Interface.

Diego Martins

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 00:27:53 GMT in comp.lang.c++, Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

Gingerbread.

Gingerbread-house User Interface.

Grindhouse User Interface

class LastMovie {
DeathProof first; // sleepy movie with a good ending
PlanetTerror second; // very fun movie awarding five stars
};

cantide5ga

No such thing.

Hey, new to the graphics portion. Looking for a hand, not a
completely useless answer.
Consider posting your question to 'microsoft.public.vc.language'
then.

That's not a good reason to post.

Sure it is. And the disclaimer for why I am posting is for people
like yourself who seem to think they are above a noob looking for
help.
There must have been a reason for them to remove it...

I am unfamiliar with GrWin. Sounds complicated, if even you have
problems.

OpenGL. DirectX. Plenty of other Windows-based graphics packages,
but they are all off-topic here.

I was asking in general terms because I don't know where to start.
Sounds like I am in the way here. I'll keep searching elsewhere.

Thanks everyone for the help anyhow. Got a good starting point I
suppose.