Graphical display of data

JJ

Just wondered what is generally used to display data in graphical form?

(i..e I have some simple data to display in a bar graph/pie chart for
example).

?

JJ

Michael Nemtsev

Hello JJ,

"Create Snazzy Web Charts and Graphics On the Fly with the .NET Framework"
MSDN Article at http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/02/ASPDraw/

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

J> Just wondered what is generally used to display data in graphical
J> form?
J>
J> (i..e I have some simple data to display in a bar graph/pie chart for
J> example).
J>
J> ?
J>
J> JJ

Mark Rae

Just wondered what is generally used to display data in graphical form?

There are many, many 3rd-party business graphics solutions or .NET:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...-8&rlz=1T4GGIH_en-GBGB220GB220&q=".NET"+chart

Almost all of them do almost exactly the same things... Have a look at a few
and pick the one you like best :)

I use this one: http://www.advsofteng.com/
(i..e I have some simple data to display in a bar graph/pie chart for
example).

In addition to the link Michael suggested, very basic bar "charts" can be
simulated with labels of various lengths and background colours - looks
pretty amateurish, though... :)

JJ

Thanks guys.

I want it to look as good as possible (but with minimum effort and no cost
ofcourse.. ;-) )

The other option if to feed the data to flash. Might be too much work there.
Will take a look at the link first....

Thanks,

JJ

Michael Nemtsev

Hello JJ,

Look at http://www.componentsource.com for the commercial implementation

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

J> Thanks guys.
J>
J> I want it to look as good as possible (but with minimum effort and no
J> cost ofcourse.. ;-) )
J>
J> The other option if to feed the data to flash. Might be too much work
J> there. Will take a look at the link first....
J>
J> Thanks,
J>
J> JJ

sloan

See:
http://www.dotnetcharting.com/

There are 2 different "rates" that you're talking about.

The rate to get data out of the datastore (usually a database).
The rate to render the data.

You also want to seperate the code which gets the data (datalayer) from the
code whichs presents it ( presentation layer, dotnetcharting for example).

Take a look at
5/24/2006
Custom Objects/Collections and Tiered Development
http://sholliday.spaces.live.com/blog/

That will show you "layered" or "tiered" development.
It will also allow you to time the 2 rates your speaking of, without mixing
the two.