Gui front-end to version control program

David Delony

I spoke with Eric S. Raymond at a Linux user's group meeting a few days ago
about the need for version control for end users.
I thought that Python might be a good candidate for this.

Luckily, Guido was there as well. I talked this over with him and he
suggested using Google Documents sinceI usually collborate on text documents.

I want something that can work with any file, as Subversion does. I can't
think of any
GUI wrappers written in Python off the top of my head. I would like to use one
as a model and get my feet wet by contributing to it. I don't feel proficient
enough to lead a project yet.

Paul Rubin

David Delony said:
I want something that can work with any file, as Subversion does. I
can't think of any GUI wrappers written in Python off the top of my
head. I would like to use one as a model and get my feet wet by
contributing to it. I don't feel proficient enough to lead a project yet.

I don't understand what you're asking for. cvs and svn have gui front
ends, I thought. They certainly have web front ends, as does mercurial.

Gabriel Genellina

I want something that can work with any file, as Subversion does. I can't
think of any
GUI wrappers written in Python off the top of my head. I would like to

There exist TortoiseCVS and TortoiseSVN. They are very intuitive and easy
to use front ends, but being Explorer extensions, they're tied to Windows.
They're not written in Python, but in C++.

Neal Becker

David said:
I spoke with Eric S. Raymond at a Linux user's group meeting a few days
ago about the need for version control for end users.
I thought that Python might be a good candidate for this.

Luckily, Guido was there as well. I talked this over with him and he
suggested using Google Documents sinceI usually collborate on text
documents.

I want something that can work with any file, as Subversion does. I can't
think of any
GUI wrappers written in Python off the top of my head. I would like to use
one as a model and get my feet wet by contributing to it. I don't feel
proficient enough to lead a project yet.

For some dvcs, qct is coming along well. A nice commit tool.
http://qct.sourceforge.net/

For merge, kdiff3 is great (and integrates with hg and qct).

There is an early version of pmpu (pushmepullyou) that I think looks good.
http://xenbits.xensource.com/maw/pmpu.hg

Grant Edwards

There exist TortoiseCVS and TortoiseSVN. They are very intuitive and easy
to use front ends, but being Explorer extensions, they're tied to Windows.
They're not written in Python, but in C++.

Meld is written in Python, and it's a limited frontend for both
CVS and SVN. There are probably almost a dozen GUI front ends
for SVN (ones that come to mind are meld, esvn, rapidsvn, ksvn,
smartsvn, qsvn, gsvn). There's also a web-based frontend for
both SVN (and CVS).

I don't really see any need for yet another GUI frontend for SVN.