Happy Holidays

Gene Wirchenko

Dear JavaScripters:

Quiet today. No real people posts. I hope you all are enjoying
your Boxing Day.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Mel Smith

Hi Gene:

They don't celebrate Boxing Day in the U.S.A. as we do in Canada.

I don't know about Europe, Africa, or Asia ??

Anyway, Happy Holidays to you and your family.

-Mel Smith
Mesa, Az, USA and Edmonton. Alberta

Evertjan.

Mel Smith wrote on 27 dec 2011 in comp.lang.javascript:
They don't celebrate Boxing Day in the U.S.A. as we do in Canada.

If you say so.

How do you celebrate boxing-day in Canada?
What do they celebrate differently, if at all, in the States?

Would "boxing day" have to do with:
"Mohammed Ali, his boxing days are over"?
I don't know about Europe, Africa, or Asia ??

We natives of the three named continents
will have to accept that as a fact.

Why the questionmark, btw,
are you not sure about your professed lack of knowledge?
Anyway, Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Quite, same to you and yours.

Do you mean holidays as in days off work,
or as in holy days?

Is boxingday holy over there, needing celebration?

Can days be happy, and holy?

[questions raised by running your text though the NG's strict validator,
many in this NG thinking no answers can be given on unvalidated
script/text]

Dr J R Stockton

Mon said:
They don't celebrate Boxing Day in the U.S.A. as we do in Canada.

I don't know about Europe, Africa, or Asia ??

Then you can read and check <http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/holidays.htm>.
The UK section is probably right, but the NA section is based on hearsay.

Those not covered by the data of that page are welcome to publish their
own scripts for pasting into the textarea provided.

It appears that the Dutch celebrate Christmas (and Easter Sunday and
Pentecost) so inefficiently, or so comprehensively, that they have each
for two days each year.

Evertjan.

Dr J R Stockton wrote on 28 dec 2011 in comp.lang.javascript:
It appears that the Dutch celebrate Christmas (and Easter Sunday and
Pentecost) so inefficiently, or so comprehensively, that they have each
for two days each year.

Celebremus diem festem, sodales!

Most Dutch don't celebrate it, we just have both days off.

Possibly the second day originally was to recuperate from the religiously
strenuous and/or food-wize copious first day?

However we don't like to go boxing that second day,
like efficient or comprehensive Britons do.

[Today, Boxing Day is better known as a bank or public holiday that occurs
on December 26, or the first or second weekday after Christmas Day,
depending on national or regional laws. It is observed in the United
Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and some other Commonwealth
nations.
The exact etymology of the term "boxing" is unclear, and there are several
competing theories, none of which is definitive.
In the UK, it was a custom for tradesmen to collect "Christmas boxes" of
money or presents on the first weekday after Christmas as thanks for good
service throughout the year.

Wikipedia]