height of input box

Refute it

How can I increase the height of the input box, I've used the height
attribute but it deosnt work. I've also tried the rowspan attribute but
still doesn't work.

<input id='qt' size='100' align='left' type='text' name='qText'/>

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Refute said:
How can I increase the height of the input box, I've used the height
attribute but it deosnt work. I've also tried the rowspan attribute
but still doesn't work.

<input id='qt' size='100' align='left' type='text' name='qText'/>

name='qText'></td>

...though I do not know why you want such a huge field for a maximum of
around 15 letters. Since you can never type on a 'second line', why
should it be taller than what the visitor would expect for a text field?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme said:
Does not work in Safari 2 (or iCab).

Super. Proves the effort is fruitless, eh?
Text fields are too often miserable little things. Almost never wide
enough, author fault. Not tall enough (html/css inventor/browser
implementator fault) to make a person feel comfortable.

What Refute wants to do only results in:

|Throckmorton |
| |
The sort of unease that a tradesman feels when he has a quick piss in
her ladyship's fine toilet, nervous that he will miss the bowl.

"We aim to please .. so please aim."

dorayme

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
name='qText'></td>

..though I do not know why you want such a huge field for a maximum of
around 15 letters. Since you can never type on a 'second line', why
should it be taller than what the visitor would expect for a text field?

Does not work in Safari 2 (or iCab).

Text fields are too often miserable little things. Almost never wide
enough, author fault. Not tall enough (html/css inventor/browser
implementator fault) to make a person feel comfortable. The sort of
unease that a tradesman feels when he has a quick piss in her ladyship's
fine toilet, nervous that he will miss the bowl.

asdf

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Super. Proves the effort is fruitless, eh?

What Refute wants to do only results in:

|Throckmorton |
| |

"We aim to please .. so please aim."

Methinks you mean "We aim to please... you aim too, please"

:))

Refute it

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
name='qText'></td>

..though I do not know why you want such a huge field for a maximum of
around 15 letters. Since you can never type on a 'second line', why
should it be taller than what the visitor would expect for a text field?
Thanks.
I can enter more than 15 characters. Why do you think its limited to 15?
Also is there a way to wordwrap? how to enter new line in the box.
When I press enter the form just gets submited.

rf

Refute it said:
Thanks.
I can enter more than 15 characters. Why do you think its limited to 15?
Also is there a way to wordwrap? how to enter new line in the box.
When I press enter the form just gets submited.

Use a textarea. Input fields are one line only.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Refute said:
Thanks.
I can enter more than 15 characters. Why do you think its limited to 15?

How many people do you know with a first name longer than 15 characters?

An input of type="text" is not limited, unless you take extra steps such
as using max, and also checking on the server-side processing script.
Also is there a way to wordwrap? how to enter new line in the box.

As rf said, if you want multiple lines for an input, use a textarea. Is
this what you really wanted in the first place?
When I press enter the form just gets submited.

...which is the default behaviour for forms in most browsers.

Perhaps it is time for you to give a URL to what you are really
attempting to do here.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard said:
John Jacob Jingleheimerschmitt for one.
Along with many other german and european names.
I'm sure you could find a few hundred listed in your local phone book.

So ... first name "John" or even "John Jacob" is longer than 15
characters?

Pay attention, RtS. What part of "First Name" did you miss?

Refute it

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
How many people do you know with a first name longer than 15 characters?

Oops sorry. The actual field is for something else not for First Name.
Thanks again

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Refute said:
Oops sorry. The actual field is for something else not for First
Name. Thanks again

Then perhaps, as mentioned, what you want really is a textarea.
Something like this example (CSS styling left as an exercise for you):

<form id="frmrequest" method="post" action="[yourscript.php]">
<fieldset>
<legend>Contact Form</legend>

<label for "firstname">
First name:
<input name="firstname" id="firstname" type="text" size="15"
maxlength="15">
</label>

<label for "comment">
Questions or comments:<br>
<textarea name="comment" id='comment' rows="8" cols="60"></textarea>
</label>

<label for "submit1">
<input type="submit" value=" Submit Form "
id="submit1" name="submit1">
</label>

</fieldset>
</form>

Note that tiny textareas are not pleasant for your visitors.

Provide a URL to your real form.

richard

How many people do you know with a first name longer than 15 characters?

John Jacob Jingleheimerschmitt for one.
Along with many other german and european names.
I'm sure you could find a few hundred listed in your local phone book.

dorayme

richard said:
On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 12:25:22 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"

John Jacob Jingleheimerschmitt for one.

O my god! I hope Andy D, your favourite chat partner, does not see this.
It is like saying to him, "Hit me hard with your cruelest".