hello from colombia

fel

I work in a small software company using php all day, I wish the usage
of Python was more common within my company
they are starting a new project (insurance stuff) using Java, and I
just hate that eventually I'l be debugging someone-else's java code
how can I convince them that Python is better, and get them to re-
think their strategy?

also, kuddos on the language, you serve mankind as few do.

fel.

I work in a small software company using php all day, I wish the usage
of Python was more common within my company
they are starting a new project (insurance stuff) using Java, and I
just hate that eventually I'l be debugging someone-else's java code
how can I convince them that Python is better, and get them to re-
think their strategy?

also, kuddos on the language, you serve mankind as few do.

fel.

Just show them a side by side comparison of Python and Java, the
choice will be obvious! ;)

fel

Just show them a side by side comparison of Python and Java, the
choice will be obvious! ;)

the problem is that they are moving to Java due to it app-
marketability (java is more business-enterprisey), while python isn't :
(
perhaps a python advocacy page?

bearophileHUGS

fel:
they are starting a new project (insurance stuff) using Java, and I
just hate that eventually I'l be debugging someone-else's java code
how can I convince them that Python is better, and get them to re-
think their strategy?

The choice of the language for a program isn't easy. Maintaining
"large" codebases of Java code written by many programmers with mixed
levels of experience may be less difficult than an Python code,
because Python gives you more freedom, and such freedom may be used
for the bad too. Also note that Java gives you powerful IDE tools, may
give you support from some corporations, and for the firm it may be
simpler to find and replace Java programmers, compared to Python ones
(this is probably true where I live, but I don't know if it's true
where you live). Java may also have some software already done that
you can use in your insurance field, I don't know.
Today Java may be the most widely used language, so this diffusion
gives you some advantages.
So even if Python is better, a firm has to consider many other things.

Bye,
bearophile

fel

You can't, because it isn't.

you are right, it isn't, but for the particular task at hand (DB
Sybase programming)
I feel somehow that the team isn't moving fast enough, perhaps the
Language is the problem?
the team doesn't know much about java, and altough IDEs help, I see
litle or no advancement and time is running short.

I believe Python is the answer, I saw an app called Bado (look it up),
and as I saw the guy that wrote all the stuff
make screen casts to show it off, I tought to myself, "the reason he
did all of this, is because HE COULD", the
language dodn't get in the way, it was simple and consice, just as I
remember it)
so why not ditch java and give it a try?

I think I need a page with 100 reasons why Python is better than Java
( it is, or at least, it MUST be)
and if it isn't , we cana lways improve it (in java that's a no go)

I'd better explain that, before I'm lynched. The thing is, no language
is better than another language. A language is better than another
language *for a particular purpose*. SPARK Ada is better than Python
for safety-critical software (if only because it's easier to get
regulatory approval). INTERCAL is better than Python for
obfustication. Before you try to convert them to Python, you need to
find out all the reasons for the existing language choice and work out
whether Python actually /would/ be better. If you can do that, in the
process you will have gathered the evidence you need.

that's a lot of bytes for "do your own homework"
but thanks, I'll do it.

Tim Rowe

2008/11/27 fel said:
that's a lot of bytes for "do your own homework"
but thanks, I'll do it.

It also included "You haven't defined the issue precisely enough" :)