help! dreamweaver!

Bart van den Burg

Can someone please help me out here?

I've been working with HTML since I was 12, and by now (19), I'm always
writing my pages 100% validated XHTML 1.0 Strict.

So, what's the problem, you're wondering, well: I'm in this new school now,
where I'm studying "Digital Media Design", and there, I'm required to learn
DreamWeaver in one of my classes. I've never used any Macromedia products,
because I've always hated the (sorry if this is offending to anyone, but
it's my opinion anyway) crap it produces!

Well anyway, I asked my teacher if it was possible for me not to follow this
class.
At first he asked: well, don't you have to be able to write webpages?
I answered: I write W3C validated XHTML...
He asked, ok, so shouldn't you know about templates, so you don't have to
rewrite every page on a layout redesign?
I answered: Nope, almost everything I write is server-side
Then he said: Ok, maybe you could stop following this class, but you should
realize that about 80% of the website companies work with this program and
won't have much use of you if you don't know how to work with it.

Well, basically, my question is: is the latter true? Should I really learn
DreamWeaver to get companies to want me? Also, I'm wondering if this study
is the best for me, since maybe it's a bit to creative for a tech-person
like me...

Anyway, if anyone can give me his/her opinion on this all, i'd be thankful

Bart

Nico Schuyt

Bart said:
I'm in this new school now,
where I'm studying "Digital Media Design", and there, I'm required to learn
DreamWeaver in one of my classes.
Should I really learn DreamWeaver to get companies
to want me?

Of course. You must be able to use the tools a company applies. DW shouldn't
be a problem for you.
Also, I'm wondering if
this study is the best for me, since maybe it's a bit to creative for
a tech-person like me...

You have to decide for yourself. But why started you such a study if your
not creative???

Regards, Nico

Adrienne

[...]

Humor him. You can always go into code mode, nobody the wiser. Besides,
it might be fun to learn a new way of doing things. Maybe you can even
give some pointers.

I've been in this position myself. I had to attend a telephone system
class, and although I knew more than the teacher, I still picked up a few
things that served me well later.

Bart van den Burg