Help Java novice

JavaNovice

Hi All,

I am new to this group and new to Java. Currently i am only six weeks
into a course. I am studying bioinformatics. Anyway i am working my way
through Java for dummies along side the coursework i am being set but i
have come to a roadblock.

I am trying to run the following code:-
import java.util.Scanner;
import static java.lang.System.out;

class ScoreBoard{

public static void main(String args[]){
Scanner myScanner = new Scanner(System.in);
int hankees, socks;
WhoWins who;

out.print("Hankees and Socks scores? ");
hankees = myScanner.nextInt();
socks = myScanner.nextInt();
out.println();

if (hankees > socks){
who = WhoWins.home;
out.println("The hankees win :)");
} else if (socks > hankees){
who = WhoWins.visitor;
out.println("The socks win :-(");
} else {
who = WhoWins.neither;
out.println("It's a tie :-|");
}

out.println();
out.println("Today's game is brought to you by");
out.println("SnitSoft, the number one software");
out.println("vendor in the Hankeevilee area.");
out.println("SnitSoft is featured proudly in");
out.println("Chapter 6. and remember, four out");
out.println("of five doctors recommend SnitSoft");
out.println("to their patients.");
out.println();

if (who == WhoWins.home){
out.println("We beat 'em good. Didin't we?");
}
if (who == WhoWins.visitor){
out.println("The umpire made an unfair call. ");
}
if (who == WhoWins.neither){
out.println("The game goes into overtime.");

But the compiler cannot find WhoWins enum type. I have installed the
latest jdk-6-beta2 with the relevent API documents and still no joy. I
was using jdk-1_5 with relevent API. I can just skip enum types but i
would rather get to the bottom of this. Also, i went onto Java sun
tutorials and copied and pasted their example of the enum type Day in a
piece of code into my complier. Again the same problen ; cannot find
symbol class Day. Help please i have exhausted all possibilities and i
am now just left scratching my very sore head.

Thanks
Sarah
xx

JanTheKing

Sarah,

Can you paste the compiler error in your post? Also provide the code
for the WhoWins enum.

Jan

JavaNovice

Hi JanTheKing,

I have managed to get the code to compile but i am getting the
following error message :-

Welcome to DrJava. Working directory is C:\Documents and
Settings\Steven\Desktop\Sarah Programming\Java
java WhoWins
Error: No 'main' method in 'WhoWins' with arguments:
([Ljava.lang.String;)Sarah

[...]

Martin Gregorie

JavaNovice said:
Hi JanTheKing,

I have managed to get the code to compile but i am getting the
following error message :-

Welcome to DrJava. Working directory is C:\Documents and
Settings\Steven\Desktop\Sarah Programming\Java
java WhoWins
Error: No 'main' method in 'WhoWins' with arguments:
([Ljava.lang.String;)
Sarah
You have to run the class containing the main() method, so start it with

java ScoreBoard

IchBin

JavaNovice said:
[...]

Sarah, as JanTheKing asked: What does your WhoWins class look like?

--
Thanks in Advance... http://ichbin.9999mb.com
-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

JavaNovice

Hi JanTheKing,

Sorry if i am being thick. But what do you mean, what does WhoWins look
like?

JavaNovice wrote:
[...]

Daniel Pitts

JavaNovice said:
Hi JanTheKing,

Sorry if i am being thick. But what do you mean, what does WhoWins look
like?

First, please don't top post.
What does WhoWins look like? It looks like the contents of the
WhoWins.java file. Because WhoWins is not a standard API somewhere, it
would have been useful for us to see its contents.

Anyway, as someone else has pointed out. you need to run "java
ScoreBoard", as ScoreBoard is the java class that has a "public static
void main(String[])" method

Simon Brooke

IchBin said:
JavaNovice said:
public static void main(String args[]){
Scanner myScanner = new Scanner(System.in);
int hankees, socks;
WhoWins who;
^^^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^
Sorry if i am being thick. But what do you mean, what does WhoWins look
like?

I think she's using an enum type called WhoWins, not a class. Still, could
we see the definition of it, please?

Daniel Pitts

Simon said:
I think she's using an enum type called WhoWins, not a class. Still, could
we see the definition of it, please?

Actually, in Java, an enum type is a class. But yes, we are all asking
for the definition of WhoWins.