Java Help - Beginner

Marie

Hi, Im new at Java and have to do an assignment on it. First thing I need help with is the computer I am trying to compile the java code on doesn't allow me to so if anyone can tell me if the below code works to so that usersinput the values of the int such as mcLane ect. that would be wonderful :)The next problem I'm having is applying conditions to the ints such as mcLane having to be between 1-4, sum of all lanes (mc, ac, et) have to be greater less then or equal to 8 and sum of mcLane and acLane has to be less thenor equal to 4. I'm clueless whether to use a boolean condition or who to loop it back to the user input until the condition is met. Any help would begreatly appreciated, Thank you :)

package Jtoll;
import java.util.Scanner;
public class Jtoll {public static void main(String[] args) {
int mcLane;
Scanner user_input = new Scanner(System.in);
System.out.println("Input number of MC lanes");
mcLane = s.nextDouble();

int acLane;
System.out.println("Input number of AC lanes");
acLane = s.nextDouble();

int etlane;
System.out.println("Input number of ET lanes");
etLane = s.nextDouble();

int costMcStaff;
System.out.println("Input cost of MC Staff");
costMcStaff= s.nextDouble();

int costAClane;
System.out.println("Input cost of running AC lane");
costAClane = s.nextDouble();

int costETlane;
System.out.println("Input cost of running ET lane");
costETlane = s.nextDouble();

int timeMClane;
System.out.println("Input time taken to process one vehicle in MC lane");
timeMClane = s.nextDouble();

int timeAClane;
System.out.println("Input time taken to process one vehicle in AC lane");
timeAClane = s.nextDouble();

int timeETlane;
System.out.println("Input time taken to process one vehicle in ET lane");
timeETlane = s.nextDouble();

int priceV1;
System.out.println("Input price for V1");
priceV1 = s.nextDouble();

int priceV2;
System.out.println("Input price for V2");
priceV2= s.nextDouble();

int priceV3;
System.out.println("Input price for V3");
priceV3 = s.nextDouble();

Lew

Marie said:
Hi, Im new at Java and have to do an assignment on it. First thing I need help with is the computer I

Don't you have teaching assistants or more advanced students to ask?
am trying to compile the java code on doesn't allow me to so if anyone can tell me if the below code

When you say, "doesn't allow", what is it doing instead?

COPY AND PASTE any error messages, warnings, etc., into your response.
Paraphrasing usually doesn't work.
works to so that users input the values of the int such as mcLane ect. that would be wonderful :)

What do you mean by "works"? You have things accepting input in that code, but nothing
that uses the input, e.g., to test it or show it to anybody.
The next problem I'm having is applying conditions to the ints such as mcLane having to be between
1-4, sum of all lanes (mc, ac, et) have to be greater less then or equal to 8 and sum of mcLane and
"lanes"?

acLane has to be less then or equal to 4. I'm clueless whether to use a boolean condition or who to
loop it back to the user input until the condition is met.

package Jtoll;

This doesn't affect your correctness, but conventionally most Java shops use only
lower-case letters for package names.
import java.util.Scanner;

public class Jtoll {public static void main(String[] args) {

Please indent for readability.

There's no reason to jam everything on one line like that.

The Java coding conventions are spelled out here:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/codeconv-138413.html
int mcLane;

Scanner user_input = new Scanner(System.in);

System.out.println("Input number of MC lanes");

mcLane = s.nextDouble();

You said that the variable is an 'int'. Why are you trying to give it a 'double'?

What do you do with mcLane' after this?

How can you tell if it has the right value?
('System.out.println()')

int acLane;

Ditto. You declare it 'int'.
System.out.println("Input number of AC lanes");
acLane = s.nextDouble();

Then feed it a 'double'.
int etlane;
System.out.println("Input number of ET lanes");

Then completely fail to use it.
etLane = s.nextDouble();

int costMcStaff;
Ditto.

System.out.println("Input cost of MC Staff");
costMcStaff= s.nextDouble();

int costAClane;

And so forth.
[...]

You can't just tell the compiler that a variable is of type 'A', then try to jam
an unrelated type 'B' into it.

Even with related types, there are issues. With those there are ways around
the issues, but why go through all that?

If someone enters "4.3315678", how will an 'int' hold that?

Marie

It keeps saying that javac is not recognized as an internal or external command. I've tried following tips to fix this but none have worked on my computer. As I said I am very new at java so I know that the code is highly flawed at present. The user values or need to be ints as they have to be wholenumbers so thanks for pointing that out :)by lanes i mean the sum of the ints mcLane, etLane and acLane can not exceed 8. The second part of the assignment uses the input but I didn't want to continue until I'd sorted out the first part. I just needed confirmation that the input from the user then allocates to the corresponding variable and how to add conditions to the variable. Thanks for your time responding :)

Knute Johnson

It keeps saying that javac is not recognized as an internal or
external command. I've tried following tips to fix this but none have
worked on my computer. As I said I am very new at java so I know that
the code is highly flawed at present. The user values or need to be
ints as they have to be whole numbers so thanks for pointing that out
:)by lanes i mean the sum of the ints mcLane, etLane and acLane can
not exceed 8. The second part of the assignment uses the input but I
didn't want to continue until I'd sorted out the first part. I just
needed confirmation that the input from the user then allocates to
the corresponding variable and how to add conditions to the variable.
Thanks for your time responding :)

You are using Windows? You need to set the path to the compiler. On XP
(Vista and 7 are similar), Open the Control Panel, select Performance
and Maintenance, select System to bring up the System Properties dialog.
Select the Advanced tab, press the Environment Variables button, and
edit or create a new PATH environment variable that points to the Java
compiler. On my XP computer it is
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_07\bin.

Then open a new command prompt and the path should allow you to run the
java.exe program from the command line.

Marie

I'm using Windows 7, I've tried adding it as a path with unfortunately no success. I'll keep trying though :)

Marie

I have installed it, ive even tried uninstalling and re-installing it but no luck there either

bob smith

I have installed it, ive even tried uninstalling and re-installing it but no luck there either

You need to make sure you add the bin directory to the path.

c:\jdk\bin

Joerg Meier

You need to make sure you add the bin directory to the path.
c:\jdk\bin

It is very unlikely that would be the path. Odds are it is either

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_07\bin

or

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0_07\bin

depending on whether she installed 32 or 64 bit.

Liebe Gruesse,
Joerg

Arne Vajhøj

It is very unlikely that would be the path. Odds are it is either

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_07\bin

or

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0_07\bin

depending on whether she installed 32 or 64 bit.

c:\jdk\bin may have been intended to be read as:
c:\wherever-you-installed-the-jdk\bin

I don't install JDK in Program Files.

Arne

Joined
Oct 8, 2012
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
tina bell

Why is no one replying to My questions, i'm being ignored please help