Help please...

Guest

Hi, friends,

I am following the "MS IIS 6.0 Deployment Guide" to deploy my asp.net
application. However, I got completely lost in the session "Enabling Client
Access IIS 6.0". It says:

Enable client access to the ASP.NET applications on the Web server by
completing the following steps:

1. Create the appropriate Domain Name System (DNS) entries for the ASP.NET
applications running on the Web server.

For more information about how to create DNS entries for your applications,
see "Managing resource records" in Help and Support Center for Windows Server
2003.

I spent almost an hour in msdn.com and found nothing about how to create DNS
entries.

Help please...

The web server does not run if I use asp.net page default.aspx, but it works
fine if I use HTML page default.htm. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Juan T. Llibre

Hi, Andrew.

re:
I spent almost an hour in msdn.com and found
nothing about how to create DNS entries.

See :
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814591
and
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323380

There's step-by-step HowTos for DNS there.

Mind you, those are only good if you're going to be running
your own DNS server in the Windows 2003 server where
you're running IIS 6.0.

DNS services are taken care of by your ISP, if you are hosted.

re:
The web server does not run if I use asp.net page default.aspx,
but it works fine if I use HTML page default.htm. Any ideas?

ASP.NET is disabled, by default, as a security measure.

You need to enable ASP.NET by opening the IIS Manager
and scrolling down the left-hand side to "Web Service Extensions",
click once on it and look on the right-hand panel.

Click once on the ASP.NET version you want to enable,
and click the "Allow" button.

You will also need to add the "default.aspx" document to your website(s).

Open the IIS Manager, and scroll down to your Application.
Right-click it and select "Properties".

Select the "Documents" tab, and add default.aspx to the list.
If necessary, move default.aspx to the top of the list
by selecting it and clicking on the "Move Up" button.

OK your way out of there.

Now, default.aspx should work.