Help requested for MSc Dissertation Survey

Jeremy Russell

I'm carrying out a survey as part of my dissertation for an MSc in
Information Technology at the University of Liverpool. I'm researching
the relative advantages of learning Java using an Integrated
Development Environment when compared to using a text editor for
creating code. The survey has thirteen questions only, which should
take you less than five minutes to answer.

Answers to all questions are optional, your responses will remain
strictly confidential and will be used as part of a summary in my
final dissertation only.

If you can help, please visit this URL to complete the survey:

http://www.jeremyrussell.co.uk/studentsurvey.jsp

Thanks in advance

Jeremy Russell

Karsten Baumgarten

Jeremy said:
I'm carrying out a survey as part of my dissertation for an MSc in
Information Technology at the University of Liverpool. I'm researching
the relative advantages of learning Java using an Integrated
Development Environment when compared to using a text editor for
creating code. The survey has thirteen questions only, which should
take you less than five minutes to answer.

Answers to all questions are optional, your responses will remain
strictly confidential and will be used as part of a summary in my
final dissertation only.

If you can help, please visit this URL to complete the survey:

http://www.jeremyrussell.co.uk/studentsurvey.jsp

Thanks in advance

Jeremy Russell

I tried to help, but your web form refuses to cooperate (see below). :)

Column not found, message from server: "Unknown column 'count0' in
'field list'"

com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:1977)

Nico

Same here,
Column not found, message from server: "Unknown column 'count0' in
'field list'"

com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:1977)

Jeremy Russell

Hi all,

Yes I had a problem (aka error) and yes, I've fixed it now.

Please have another go - you might need to use a different URL, to
bypass the cookie check:

http://www.jeremyrussell.co.uk/studentsurveyquestion.jsp

There was one question that was causing this problem. Typically, it
was the very last question, which only caused this problem if you
helpfully replied "Y" to "May I contact you again?"

I think I already learnt something from this experience

1) Test everything thoroughly and then test it again.

2) Sod's Law says that "it goes wrong for helpful folks"

3) I should really learn to code.

My apologies and thanks for your patience, all

Jeremy

Karsten Baumgarten

Jeremy said:
Hi all,

Yes I had a problem (aka error) and yes, I've fixed it now.

Please have another go - you might need to use a different URL, to
bypass the cookie check:

http://www.jeremyrussell.co.uk/studentsurveyquestion.jsp

There was one question that was causing this problem. Typically, it
was the very last question, which only caused this problem if you
helpfully replied "Y" to "May I contact you again?"

I think I already learnt something from this experience

1) Test everything thoroughly and then test it again.

2) Sod's Law says that "it goes wrong for helpful folks"

3) I should really learn to code.

My apologies and thanks for your patience, all

Jeremy

Seems to work now. And by the way: shame on you for not making Eclipse
an option in the IDE comboboxes. ;)

Seamus

Note : it would be difficult to have used Java for "more than 10 years"
as it was publically released on May 23, 1995. It was available for d/l
before that (late 1994), but of limited interest.

Wiseguy

Seamus said:
Note : it would be difficult to have used Java for "more than 10 years"
as it was publically released on May 23, 1995. It was available for d/l
before that (late 1994), but of limited interest.

Reminds me of late 90s job ads asking for five or seven years experience on
win95. 1997-1995=two to three years...People who write job ads can be such
morons. I remember another one where they asked for someone with
experience configuring modums.

Jeremy Russell

Seems to work now. And by the way: shame on you for not making Eclipse
an option in the IDE comboboxes. ;)

Well, I figured I'd leave something to enter into the 'other' box ...
Eclipse does seem to have been the most popular 'other' thus far.

jeremy.russell

Reminds me of late 90s job ads asking for five or seven years experience on
win95. 1997-1995=two to three years...People who write job ads can be such
morons. I remember another one where they asked for someone with
experience configuring modums.

Fair point - I do enjoy reading typo's in job ads. I figured ten
years+ was acceptable as an option, since as you say the language has
been around just about that long. Thus far, no-one has claimed that
much experience, which is encouraging.

JR

Dan Hinojosa

Jeremy said:
I'm carrying out a survey as part of my dissertation for an MSc in
Information Technology at the University of Liverpool. I'm researching
the relative advantages of learning Java using an Integrated
Development Environment when compared to using a text editor for
creating code. The survey has thirteen questions only, which should
take you less than five minutes to answer.

Answers to all questions are optional, your responses will remain
strictly confidential and will be used as part of a summary in my
final dissertation only.

If you can help, please visit this URL to complete the survey:

http://www.jeremyrussell.co.uk/studentsurvey.jsp

Thanks in advance

Jeremy Russell

What if I didn't take a class?

Guest

I'm carrying out a survey as part of my dissertation for an MSc in
Information Technology at the University of Liverpool. I'm researching
the relative advantages of learning Java using an Integrated
Development Environment when compared to using a text editor for
creating code. The survey has thirteen questions only, which should
take you less than five minutes to answer.

Answers to all questions are optional, your responses will remain
strictly confidential and will be used as part of a summary in my
final dissertation only.

If you can help, please visit this URL to complete the survey:

http://www.jeremyrussell.co.uk/studentsurvey.jsp

Thanks in advance

Jeremy Russell

Why is C++/C# an option in prior languages instead of C/C++. C# has
nothing to do with C ++?

jeremy.russell

My dissertation is intended to compare the relative benefits of
learning in a class with or without an IDE; however, if you would like
to answer based on your presumably self-taught experience, that'll be
equally helpful.

I've amended the wording very slightly to account for that.

jeremy.russell

You're right, I changed that. What I'm really trying to establish
with that question is whether a respondent had prior OO experience
before taking on Java.

Roland

I'm carrying out a survey as part of my dissertation for an MSc in
Information Technology at the University of Liverpool. I'm researching
the relative advantages of learning Java using an Integrated
Development Environment when compared to using a text editor for
creating code. The survey has thirteen questions only, which should
take you less than five minutes to answer.

Answers to all questions are optional, your responses will remain
strictly confidential and will be used as part of a summary in my
final dissertation only.

If you can help, please visit this URL to complete the survey:

http://www.jeremyrussell.co.uk/studentsurvey.jsp

Thanks in advance

Jeremy Russell

I got the following error message on studentsurveyresponse.jsp (after
submitting results on studentsurveyquestion.jsp)
Something has gone wrong with the survey. Further details are shown below.

String index out of range: 500

java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1441)
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
___ ___
/__/ w_/ /__/
/ \ /_/ / \

jeremy.russell

Dammit. Sorry, I think that's fixed now.

I've received 40 responses thus far and would like to thank all the
responders for their help!

Dan Hinojosa

My dissertation is intended to compare the relative benefits of
learning in a class with or without an IDE; however, if you would like
to answer based on your presumably self-taught experience, that'll be
equally helpful.

I've amended the wording very slightly to account for that.
Thanks, because when I was learning it, no one was teaching it.

modmans2ndcoming

Seems a bit unscientific wouldn't you say? did your prof. approve this
methodology?

modmans2ndcoming

reminds me of a job request I cam across back in 1999. "applicant must
have 10 or more years experience in all of the following: C++, Visual
basic, Data base application development or Java" some times I feel
that the PHBs do not really know what they are talking about.... hmm...
:)