Help with boost::python and documentation tools (e.g. pydoc)

Neal D. Becker

I'm using boost::python to transform various C++ classes and functions to
python. It is all working quite well, but now I'm having trouble with
documentation tools.

I hope someone can tell me if the problem is with the doc tools, such as
pydoc, or with boost::python implementation.

If I create a free function, this is what happens:
PyTypeObject function_type = {
PyObject_HEAD_INIT(0)
0,
"Boost.Python.function",
sizeof(function),
0,
(destructor)function_dealloc, /* tp_dealloc */
0, /* tp_print */
0, /* tp_getattr */
0, /* tp_setattr */
0, /* tp_compare */
0, //(reprfunc)func_repr, /* tp_repr */
0, /* tp_as_number */
0, /* tp_as_sequence */
0, /* tp_as_mapping */
0, /* tp_hash */
function_call, /* tp_call */
0, /* tp_str */
0, // PyObject_GenericGetAttr, /* tp_getattro */
0, // PyObject_GenericSetAttr, /* tp_setattro */
0, /* tp_as_buffer */
Py_TPFLAGS_DEFAULT /* | Py_TPFLAGS_HAVE_GC */,/* tp_flags */
0, /* tp_doc */
0, // (traverseproc)func_traverse, /* tp_traverse */
0, /* tp_clear */
0, /* tp_richcompare */
0, //offsetof(PyFunctionObject, func_weakreflist), /* tp_weaklistoffset
*/
0, /* tp_iter */
0, /* tp_iternext */
0, /* tp_methods */
0, // func_memberlist, /* tp_members */
function_getsetlist, /* tp_getset */
0, /* tp_base */
0, /* tp_dict */
function_descr_get, /* tp_descr_get */
0, /* tp_descr_set */
0, //offsetof(PyFunctionObject, func_dict), /* tp_dictoffset */
0, /* tp_init */
0, /* tp_alloc */
0,
0 /* tp_new */
};

Notice the getset member is being set, so I guess this is using the new
descriptor protocol.

As an example:

dir (block_interleaver_wrap)
['__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', 'block_interleaver', 'deinterleave',
'deinterleave_c', 'interleave', 'interleave_c']

the latter 4 are free functions. If I use pydoc, these functions don't
appear.

inspect.ismethoddescriptor(block_interleaver_wrap.interleave)
True

inspect.getdoc (block_interleaver_wrap.interleave)
'interleave(inter,x)\nInterleave input I{x} using interleaver I{inter}@param
inter: stuff'

This is the documentation I wanted.

Anyone know what needs to happen so that tools like pydoc, and especially
epydoc, will correctly find the documentation?