Help with jar in CLASSPATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH

snoopy_

I am a system admin, with a little java knowledge, and I am being
asked by a software company to add a the same jar file to CLASSPATH
and LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I thought CLASSPATH was used to report to the
JVM about where classes may be located so you can add the class
directories, the jars themselves, or zips for older java archives. I
always thought that the LD_LIBRARY_PATH was for software libraries and
usually pointed to /lib directories that contained ".so" obects.
When I look inside the jar file (jar -tvf jarfile) I do not see any
".so" objects so I am puzzled why they would be added to
LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I am thinking this is a typo in the documentation,
but I could be wrong....? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Snoopy_

Gordon Beaton

I am a system admin, with a little java knowledge, and I am being
asked by a software company to add a the same jar file to CLASSPATH
and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Yes, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is used by the runtime linker (ld.so or similar)
when dynamically loading shared objects. If there are no so-files in
the package, then ignore the advice of modifying the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

You'll soon discover whether you missed any so-files, in which case
you can always update LD_LIBRARY_PATH afterwards and restart the
program.

/gordon