hi,everyone. a problem with shelve Module

Discussion in 'Python' started by softwindow, May 26, 2006.

  1. softwindow

    softwindow Guest

    according to the book instruduction , i use shelve Module to write
    record to file.

    i only write ten records like this:

    name sex age

    jim male 22
    tom male 23
    lucy female 21

    ..................................................others( about ten
    records)

    but i find the size of this file .oh my god , it is about 24k

    the file is too large ! is it normal ?

    i don't dare to think that if i has 1000 records , it will be a very
    large file!

    softwindow, May 26, 2006

  2. softwindow

    skip Guest

    Yes. It's the nature of packages like Berkeley DB, gdbm and dbm (the
    packages mediate access to the database file under the covers) that they
    trade space for time. The files they create are not simple text files.
    They are organized to permit quick access to records by key and to permit
    average time fast insertion.

    Skip

    skip, May 26, 2006

  3. softwindow

    Laszlo Nagy Guest

    i'rta:
    Sometimes you add records but the size of the database does not
    change... :)

    Laszlo Nagy, May 26, 2006
  4. softwindow

    softwindow Guest

    really

    in which case?

    softwindow, May 26, 2006
  5. softwindow

    Jim Segrave Guest

    really

    in which case?[/QUOTE]

    whenever the database is big enough to add them without it's having to
    grow :)

    Jim Segrave, May 26, 2006