Hiding URL on Status Bar

Guest

I would like to prevent the URL from appearing on the status bar when a user
holds the mouse down on top of it. I am already using:

oncontextmenu="window.status=''; return false"

....and similar for onclick, onmousedown, onmouseover, onmousemove,
oncontextmenu

on the BODY and it almost gets me to where I need to be. Whenever I click
on a link on this page (for the first time only), the URL appears in the
status bar. Subsequent clicks on that link do not show the URL in the status
bar. This happens with each link on the page - bad behavior the first time
followed by what i need to see.

I've also tried those events on the links themselves - same behavior.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Guest

Thanks, but your link describes what does "almost works". As I said, it
works well except when each link is clicked for the first time on the page.
The URL only shows when the mouse button is down when over the hyperlink.

Guest

If you click on the link in the example you refer to, it does not work
properly either.

John Timney \(MVP\)

ah yes - should have read your post properly.

Fairly sure you will not find a solution to this, as the mousedown event
doesn't seem to be trappable until you release the mouse, and by then the
link is exposed and the click event takes over. I think you'll have to live
with it.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)