Hosting with 1&1

Carl Gilbert

Hi

I have a very simple web application which I have placed on my 1&1 (1and1)
web space.
I have placed my application in a folder called "tm" on the root of my web
space.
I have set the destination of one of my domains www.airbrushesonline.co.uk
to the tm folder using the 1&1 control panel.

Thus when you navigate to this domain you get the index page I have placed
in the tm folder.
Note how the address does not reference the fact the index file we are
looking at is actually within a folder called tm.

If you then click the enquiry link (second button in), you will see an error
page stating "Could not load type 'TestDeployment.WebForm1'."
It's finding the aspx page which is in the tm folder but it can't seem to
find the TestDeployment file.

What I think it's doing in looking on the root web space rather than in the
tm folder. I think I have proved this as I was previously getting a server
in application error which went on to state how I should turn off custom
errors in the web.config file. I was 100% sure that this was turned off and
the correct file was on my web space yet I still received the error. Grrr.

I then placed a copy of the web.config file in the root of my web space
which resulted in a more meaningful error. I think this confirms that where
the htm and aspx pages are being found in the tm folder, any web application
files are not being found as the application is being tricked into thinking
all files are on the root.

Can anyone provide a more accurate description of what is going on here?

I would like to keep the current setup I have with the domain pointing at
the tm folder and having all files in here so an offer of a solution would
be really nice.

Regards, Carl Gilbert

Karl Seguin [MVP]

It's looking for the dll's in the root of the website in the /bin folder.
Your web.config experiment confirms that this isn't the TM folder but the
parent directory.

Either place the /bin folder and relevant dlls in there, or make the tm
folder an application - I'm not sure if that's possible with 1&1...(though
many hosting companies allow you to controlt his)

Karl

Carl Gilbert

Thanks for your reply.

I will experiment with the DLLs but I'm a bit reluctant to place the bin
folder on the root as this will mean doing the same for any other web
applications I have on my web space.
I requested for the folder to be set to be an application folder by 1&1.
They said it already was but I'm sure I created it only the day before.
Perhaps I will pester them again to ensure it is actually an application
folder.

Cheers, Carl

"Karl Seguin [MVP]" <karl REMOVE @ REMOVE openmymind REMOVEMETOO . ANDME