How can I detect the version of Plugin in Internet Explorer?

Yurij Nykon

Hi all.

How can I detect the version of Flash-Plugin installed in Internet
Explorer?
In Netscape i can do this with following java script
navigator.plugins[pluginname].description
But it doesn't works in IE?
Can anyone help me?

Thanx in advance,
Yurij

Holden Caulfield

How can I detect the version of Flash-Plugin installed in Internet
Explorer?

Plugins are different for ie... I would embed some vbscript in your
javascript, and use object detection with vb. Here is a snip from a
page I did awhile ago, that will not work as is, but will give you the
idea...

// IE Plugin detection (using VBSCRIPT)
if( (wm.name=="IE") && (wm.version>=4.0) && (wm.platform=="Win32") )
{
document.writeln('<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT"
TYPE="TEXT/VBSCRIPT">')
document.writeln(' Function DetectObject(activeXname)')
document.writeln(' on error resume next')
document.writeln(' FoundStatus = False')
document.writeln(' FoundStatus =
IsObject(CreateObject(activeXname))')
document.writeln(' If (err) then')
document.writeln(' FoundStatus = False')
document.writeln(' End If')
document.writeln(' DetectObject = FoundStatus')
document.writeln(' End Function')
document.writeln(' PluginStatus =
DetectObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5")')
document.writeln(' If PluginStatus = True Then')
document.writeln(' wm.flash = 5')
document.writeln(' Else')
document.writeln(' PluginStatus =
DetectObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4") ')
document.writeln(' If PluginStatus = True Then')
document.writeln(' wm.flash = 4')
document.writeln(' Else')
document.writeln(' PluginStatus =
DetectObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3")')
document.writeln(' If PluginStatus = True Then')
document.writeln(' wm.flash = 3')
document.writeln(' End If ')
document.writeln(' End If')
document.writeln(' End If')
document.writeln(' PluginStatus =
DetectObject("QuickTimeCheckObject.QuickTimeCheck")')
document.writeln(' If PluginStatus = True Then')
document.writeln(' wm.quicktime = 1')
document.writeln(' End If ')
document.writeln(' PluginStatus = DetectObject("RealPlayer")')
document.writeln(' If PluginStatus = True Then')
document.writeln(' wm.realplayer = 1')
document.writeln(' End If ')
document.writeln('</SCRIPT>')
}

The first part

if( (wm.name=="IE") && (wm.version>=4.0) && (wm.platform=="Win32") )

uses already detected settings to make sure that the browser is IE,
the version is greater than 4, and the OS is a windows platform. If
it is, it does the inline vbscript (I already described) to try and
create and test the object.

This code also tests for quicktime and realplayer.

I hope this code helps... keep in mind though, it is 3 or so years out
of date. It only tests for up to version 5 of Flash. But if you know
javascript it should be easy to modify it to get it to test for newer
versions. Also, you will have to change all of the "wm."
references... (this script used a custom-made object -- wm -- and
defined a bunch of browser settings which I set into a cookie...)

Hope it helps!

Holden
PS: As for IE on Macs, I don't think there is anything you can do.
Luckily, IE on Windows covers over 90% of the computers out there...

Grant Wagner

Yurij said:
Hi all.

How can I detect the version of Flash-Plugin installed in Internet
Explorer?
In Netscape i can do this with following java script
navigator.plugins[pluginname].description
But it doesn't works in IE?
Can anyone help me?

Thanx in advance,
Yurij

<url:
http://www.google.com/search?q=internet+explorer+javascript+detect+flash
/>

Second link produced is:

<url:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/scriptfree_detection.htm
/>

which describes how to detect Flash using Flash itself. If that doesn't
suit you, there is a link to:

<url:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/uber_detection.htm
/>

which contains the following paragraph:

"Note: The Macromedia Flash deployment kit is a complete Flash Player
detection system that meets the needs of most developers. If you have a
specific detection requirements, the methods discussed in the rest of
this TechNote may prove useful. Otherwise, download and install the
deployment kit."

There are links in that paragraph to the Flash deployment kit.

--
| Grant Wagner <[email protected]>

*

*