How can I speed up producing repeated controls?

jonefer

Once you get the knack of creating a report with charts using the report
viewer, it seems easy to predict how long it will take you to do several
pages full, especially if they are all based on the same dataset, but only a
different slice of it.

It becomes heart wrenching, however, when a control becomes discombobulated,
i.e. mixed up for whatever reason, whether the wrong sequence of events were
taken to produce it, or some piece was disconnected. It seems that even if
you take that control and completely go through all the steps, it wants to
continually - just not work.

Theoretically, if I have gridview sitting in a panel called pnlA, if I copy
if and rename all of the related controls, i.e. DataSetObject, UpdatePanel,
Triggers, etc... It should go fine. Especially if the page compiles.

It's almost as if Visual Studio remembers how the control was, especially if
you use the same name. It wants to keep remembering all the same errors,
even though you completely remake the control from scratch!

It can take anywhere from 2 minutes - 2 hours! to make the same control.

What else can I check? What else can I probe into to find out what is
different?

Cause it would certainly make my project manager happier if I stop lying to
her about how long it'll take to get something done.