How do I become buzzword compliant?

Paul Tomblin

I've been programming professionally in Java since 1998, and C++ since
1987. I've been doing a mixture of network, database and Swing
applications, but all "hand rolled" (ie. I write the code myself rather
than using an interface builder). I think I know what a Bean is, although
since I don't use an interface builder or provide libraries for other
people, I don't really use them. I know object oriented programming
inside and out and bought the book "Design Patterns" just so I could find
out the names of the concepts I was already using.

How do I take all this Java and OO knowledge and turn it into the
buzzwords that I see on job postings like "J2EE", "EJB", "Struts", etc.
Are there good tutorials or books so I can read up on these things?

Andrew Thompson

Paul Tomblin wrote:
How do I take all this Java and OO knowledge and turn it into the
buzzwords that I see on job postings like "J2EE", "EJB", "Struts", etc.
Are there good tutorials or books so I can read up on these things?

I would suggest the following process for web based materials..
<http://www.google.com/search?q=acronym+j2ee&meta>
...then..
<http://www.google.com/search?q=definition+"Java+2+Enterprise+Edition">
...or..
<http://www.google.com/search?q=tutorial+j2ee>

Or to put that another, shorter way..
"Google it".

Andrew T.

Silvio Bierman

Paul Tomblin said:
I've been programming professionally in Java since 1998, and C++ since
1987. I've been doing a mixture of network, database and Swing
applications, but all "hand rolled" (ie. I write the code myself rather
than using an interface builder). I think I know what a Bean is, although
since I don't use an interface builder or provide libraries for other
people, I don't really use them. I know object oriented programming
inside and out and bought the book "Design Patterns" just so I could find
out the names of the concepts I was already using.

How do I take all this Java and OO knowledge and turn it into the
buzzwords that I see on job postings like "J2EE", "EJB", "Struts", etc.
Are there good tutorials or books so I can read up on these things?

Hello Paul.

Most of the buzzwords are no more than the latest and fanciest term for
actually nothing new. If you have a broad knowledge and experience in
programming, networking, relational databases etc. then it is quite easy to
Google a new buzzword you run into and you will probably have dehyped it in
half a webpage.

All it takes after that is a good memory that allows you to respond to
questions about buzzwords quickly by remembering what old stuff is actually
implied.

In the end IT has long passed its revolutionairy phase. It has become an
evolutionairy thing and once you are up to date it is quite easy to stay
with the pack. Just as long as you don't run after every latest and
greatest...

Regards,

Silvio Bierman

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Paul said:
I've been programming professionally in Java since 1998, and C++ since
1987. I've been doing a mixture of network, database and Swing
applications, but all "hand rolled" (ie. I write the code myself rather
than using an interface builder). I think I know what a Bean is, although
since I don't use an interface builder or provide libraries for other
people, I don't really use them. I know object oriented programming
inside and out and bought the book "Design Patterns" just so I could find
out the names of the concepts I was already using.

How do I take all this Java and OO knowledge and turn it into the
buzzwords that I see on job postings like "J2EE", "EJB", "Struts", etc.
Are there good tutorials or books so I can read up on these things?

You can look up abbreviations via wikipedia or google.

To understand them is something completely different - that
requires a lot of work.

But the SUN J2EE (or JEE) tutorial would probably be a good
place to start.

Arne

Paul Tomblin

In a previous article said:
You can look up abbreviations via wikipedia or google.

Obviously. That's why I asked for "good tutorials or books" rather than
definitions. The other people who responded seem to be answering
something other than what I was asking.
But the SUN J2EE (or JEE) tutorial would probably be a good
place to start.

Thanks for that, I will give it a try.