TIA

--
Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have .0.
steveo at syslang.net

Diez B. Roggisch

Steven said:
I have a table of integers and each time I look up a value from the
table I want to call a function using the table entry as an index into
an array whose values are the different functions. I haven't seen
anything on how to do this in python.

def f():
pass

fmap = { key: f }

fmap[key]()

Diez

Rob Wolfe

Steven said:
I have a table of integers and each time I look up a value from the table
I want to call a function using the table entry as an index into an array
whose values are the different functions. I haven't seen anything on how
to do this in python.

Do you mean something like that?

# test.py

def fun1(): return "fun1"
def fun2(): return "fun2"
def fun3(): return "fun3"

# list of functions
dsp = [f for fname, f in sorted(globals().items()) if callable(f)]
tab = range(len(dsp))
print dsp[tab[2]]()

# dictionary of functions
d = dict([(fname, f) for fname, f in globals().items() if
callable(f)])
tab = [fname for fname, f in sorted(globals().items()) if callable(f)]
print d[tab[2]]()

Paul Rubin

Steven W. Orr said:
I have a table of integers and each time I look up a value from the
table I want to call a function using the table entry as an index into
an array whose values are the different functions. I haven't seen
anything on how to do this in python.

func_array = [f1, f2, f3] # array of functions
index = table_lookup()
func_array[index](x,y,z) # select a function and call it

Steven D'Aprano

I have a table of integers and each time I look up a value from the table
I want to call a function using the table entry as an index into an array
whose values are the different functions. I haven't seen anything on how
to do this in python.

Do you mean something like that?

# test.py

def fun1(): return "fun1"
def fun2(): return "fun2"
def fun3(): return "fun3"

# list of functions
dsp = [f for fname, f in sorted(globals().items()) if callable(f)]

Hmmm... when I try that, I get dozens of other functions, not just fun1,
fun2 and fun3. And not just functions either; I also get classes.

Does Python have a function that will read my mind and only return the
objects I'm thinking of?

Rob Wolfe

Steven said:
I have a table of integers and each time I look up a value from the table
I want to call a function using the table entry as an index into an array
whose values are the different functions. I haven't seen anything on how
to do this in python.

Do you mean something like that?

# test.py

def fun1(): return "fun1"
def fun2(): return "fun2"
def fun3(): return "fun3"

# list of functions
dsp = [f for fname, f in sorted(globals().items()) if callable(f)]

Hmmm... when I try that, I get dozens of other functions, not just fun1,
fun2 and fun3. And not just functions either; I also get classes.

Oh, really? Where are these _other_ functions and classes
in *MY* example?
Does Python have a function that will read my mind and only return the
objects I'm thinking of?

Your sarcasm is unnecessary.
Using of `globals` function was easier to write this example.
That's all.

John Machin

Do you mean something like that?
# test.py
def fun1(): return "fun1"
def fun2(): return "fun2"
def fun3(): return "fun3"
# list of functions
dsp = [f for fname, f in sorted(globals().items()) if callable(f)]

Hmmm... when I try that, I get dozens of other functions, not just fun1,
fun2 and fun3. And not just functions either; I also get classes.

Does Python have a function that will read my mind and only return the
objects I'm thinking of?

Yup.

Stevens_mind = r"fun[1-3]$"

After "if callable(f)", put

and re.match(Stevens_mind, fname)
and not isinstance(f, type)

Steven D'Aprano

# test.py

def fun1(): return "fun1"
def fun2(): return "fun2"
def fun3(): return "fun3"

# list of functions
dsp = [f for fname, f in sorted(globals().items()) if callable(f)]

Hmmm... when I try that, I get dozens of other functions, not just fun1,
fun2 and fun3. And not just functions either; I also get classes.

Oh, really? Where are these _other_ functions and classes
in *MY* example?

I ran your example, word for word. Copied it and pasted it into my Python
session.

Your sarcasm is unnecessary.
Using of `globals` function was easier to write this example. That's all.

Actually, it wasn't easier to write at all.

Your version:
dsp = [f for fname, f in sorted(globals().items()) if callable(f)]

Sensible version:
dsp = [fun1, fun2, fun3]

Not only is your version brittle, but it is also about three times as
much typing.