How do I force page to fit screen

Ron Brennan

Good afternoon,

I have a page that contains a table that has cells that sometimes contain
just text and other times text and a jpeg image.

Most times the page fits the screen perfectly using auto sizing, but
occasionally when there is a wider photo in one of the cells, the page
contiues off the left side of the screen and a scroll bar is produced.

This dispite the fact that it could have been fitted on the page by making
one or more of the other text-only cells less wide.

Any ideas on forcing the browser to fit the page on the screen?

Thanks,
Ron

Barbara de Zoete

Good afternoon,

Afternoon? Hmm..
I have a page that contains a table that has cells that sometimes contain
just text and other times text and a jpeg image.
Any ideas on forcing the browser to fit the page on the screen?

Use Opera as your browser and use the 'fit page to window width' button.
Et voila

Ron Brennan

I'm writing an application for other people's browsers.

Yes, afternoon here in Ottawa, Canada. 4:05 PM to be precise.

kchayka

Ron said:
http://www.quick-trader.com/

Click on More at the bottom of the page, and the next page will show the
problem.

Sorry, but your page doesn't work in my browser. Clicking on More
doesn't do anything. I do get an error in the JavaScript console, though:

Error: document.getElementById("localeSelect").attachEvent is not a function
Source File: http://www.quick-trader.com/
Line: 183

So, you have bigger problems to resolve before you tackle any minor
visual quirks. Why don't you just use regular links instead of these
useless onClick events?

Jonathan N. Little

Beauregard said:
Ron Brennan wrote:

More >> doesn't do anything, with either JavaScript on or off.
Firefox.

Well it does show an underline on mouseover! He is TRYING to make a SPAN
a submit button, very very bad idea....

Jim Moe

kchayka said:
Sorry, but your page doesn't work in my browser. Clicking on More
doesn't do anything. I do get an error in the JavaScript console, though:

Error: document.getElementById("localeSelect").attachEvent is not a function
Source File: http://www.quick-trader.com/
Line: 183
He fixed that one. It still does nothing because there is no link or
onclick method.
Now there is a JS error generated every time there is a mouseover in one
of the product cells, lots and lots of errors, all saying:

Error: Expected color but found 'F4FA9E'. Error in parsing value for
property 'background-color'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://www.quick-trader.com/
Line: 0

Ron Brennan

I should have said before, this release of the application only works with
Internet Exporer 5.0 and later. Much of it was written quite awhile ago.

I'll just have to keep on hacking, I guess, and post the answer when I find
it.

Thanks for looking at it.

Ron

Jonathan N. Little

Ron said:
I should have said before, this release of the application only works with
Internet Exporer 5.0 and later. Much of it was written quite awhile ago.

I'll just have to keep on hacking, I guess, and post the answer when I find
it.

Thanks for looking at it.

Don't have to worry about my business! Just to put it out there the last
month on my site MSIE was down to 63% and falling from a high of 98% 2
years ago, I think back then the 2% traffic was me ;-)

Ron Brennan

Don't have to worry about my business! Just to put it out there the last
month on my site MSIE was down to 63% and falling from a high of 98% 2
years ago.

Jonathan,

I am interested to hear that. I promote Quick Trader on the Internet as
being a public site. It was about two years that the application was written
and at that time the competition was Netscape which was falling out of
sight. Other than the immediate problem it caused me, I am encouraged by
your observations.

Ron

Wÿrm

I should have said before, this release of the application only works with
Internet Exporer 5.0 and later.

You do realize that because of way site uses JavaScript it is not getting
anywhere in search engines, don't you? Then again it's good if site do not
get visitors ONLY from search engines, but they can give nice extra
sometimes :)

<snip>

Jonathan N. Little

Ron said:
years ago.

Jonathan,

I am interested to hear that. I promote Quick Trader on the Internet as
being a public site. It was about two years that the application was written
and at that time the competition was Netscape which was falling out of
sight. Other than the immediate problem it caused me, I am encouraged by
your observations.

I would be very concerned if I were blocking 37% of my visitors only
because of using a *very non-standard* navigation and form submittal
system. In fact I reworked my own recently just to accommodate the less
than 10% (actually I have see far less that that will my customers)that
have cookies and javascript disabled.