How do they do it?

Greg Collins [InfoPath MVP]

This may have already been discussed, but I'm not sure what to search for because I'm not sure what this ?feature? is called.

I've seen some sites recently (MSNBC is an example) that appear to ignore the standard URL somehow (i.e. it doesn't appear to be directly linked to a directory structure) and interperet it themselves.

So for example, MSNBC will have their URL something like: www.msnbc.com/id/1234567

This tells their site to get article with id="1234567" and display it. But certainly they don't have a separate folder for each article id, and they don't seem to specify a page anywhere...

Am I missing something basic?

Karl Seguin

It's called URL Rewriting.

Here's an example that uses Url Rewrting to address a specific problem
(maintaing the user's language choice between page clicks):
http://openmymind.net/index.aspx?documentId=4#urlrewrite

Karl

--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
http://www.openmymind.net/
because I'm not sure what this ?feature? is called.

I've seen some sites recently (MSNBC is an example) that appear to ignore
the standard URL somehow (i.e. it doesn't appear to be directly linked to a
directory structure) and interperet it themselves.

So for example, MSNBC will have their URL something like:
www.msnbc.com/id/1234567

This tells their site to get article with id="1234567" and display it. But
certainly they don't have a separate folder for each article id, and they
don't seem to specify a page anywhere...

Am I missing something basic?

Greg Collins [InfoPath MVP]

Thanks. I am able to do a seach now on URL Rewriting and find plenty of useful articles!

--
Greg Collins [InfoPath MVP]
Please visit: http://www.InfoPathDev.com

[...]

Alex

This is called URL Rewriting.

Another example for URL Rewriting is
http://www.dotnet42.com/NG_microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/A_22156/ThreadDetail.htm
The parameters are encoded on the left of the file name.

Alex
DotNet42.com - The Answer to Your .NET Question

"Greg Collins [InfoPath MVP]" <Greg.Collins_AT_InfoPathDev.com> wrote in message This may have already been discussed, but I'm not sure what to search for because I'm not sure what this ?feature? is called.