How does ebay hide its source?

nntp

I am trying to parse
http://www.ebay.com without success.

I view the source, and I see a lot of ?/td>. This page is unsavable.

It displays perfectly in IE, but once the source is saved/viewed, it no long
display right in IE.

When I use LYNX to view it, it is formated perfectly.

My question is how Ebay allow any brower to display the content right
without allowing viewing source or safe as?

Neal

I am trying to parse
http://www.ebay.com without success.

I view the source, and I see a lot of ?/td>. This page is unsavable.

It displays perfectly in IE, but once the source is saved/viewed, it no
long
display right in IE.

When I use LYNX to view it, it is formated perfectly.

My question is how Ebay allow any brower to display the content right
without allowing viewing source or safe as?

Opened the source fine with Opera and IE. Saved the IE one to my harddrive
and opened it in Opera, works fine.

So, I;m not sure what you did, but I don't face the same issue.

nntp

I am trying to parse
Opened the source fine with Opera and IE. Saved the IE one to my harddrive
and opened it in Opera, works fine.

So, I;m not sure what you did, but I don't face the same issue.

Did you see
?/td>
in the file?

I can save it as HTML file from IE, but once if I view source and save
source, the whole format is gone, and got a lot of ?/td>. So I wonder what
special charactor in the ebay source file causes that?

This is:
Save as something.htm
Double click something.htm
Gone!

Neal

Did you see
?/td>
in the file?

Not once.
I can save it as HTML file from IE, but once if I view source and save
source, the whole format is gone, and got a lot of ?/td>. So I wonder
what
special charactor in the ebay source file causes that?

Hmm. Perhaps your text editor is using some different character coding. Do
you see any <'s in your saved document? In the copy on my drive, it's a
mess but it works.

What text editor are you using?

nntp

Not once.

Hmm. Perhaps your text editor is using some different character coding. Do
you see any <'s in your saved document? In the copy on my drive, it's a
mess but it works.

What text editor are you using?

I have a lot of < and </. Do you think maybe because I am using a different
encoding OS? I am not using English. But I can do most of the work well.
I found the special charactor now. It display as
?/div> in windows

Search this string <!--Header code starts-->
The special charactor is right before <!--Header code starts-->

Do you think it is a unicode thing or what?

Neal

Search this string <!--Header code starts-->
The special charactor is right before <!--Header code starts-->

<!-- outage notice --><!--
\\view\header_gen\html\html00\headers\0\2\1\5_0.html -->
<!--Header code starts--><script type="text/javascript"
language="JavaScript1.1"
src="http://include.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/js/poweredby/poweredby.js"> said:
Do you think it is a unicode thing or what?

Out of my league there. I have no idea.

brucie

In alt.html nntp said:
I am trying to parse http://www.ebay.com without success.

fine for me
It displays perfectly in IE, but once the source is saved/viewed, it no long
display right in IE.

don't save pages using IE, it rewrites and adds extra bits.
My question is how Ebay allow any brower to display the content right
without allowing viewing source or safe as?

its not possible to hide the source. the problem is on your end.

rf

nntp said:
Do you think it is a unicode thing or what?

No. I think you have a problem at your end. Nobody else can see what you
describe.

Try emptying your cache. IE has problems when the cache is full.