How run these examples using Java 3D on firefox?

Nasser M. Abbasi

Hello;

When I go to

http://www.java3d.org/

and try any applet there, I get an error classdef,
looking for 3D java classes.

I am using firefox 3.6.13 on windows 7.

It sounds like I need to install something somewhere :)

Any ideas what should one do?

On a related question, what is the status of Java 3D these
days? Is it still part of Java and is being updated, or
is it 'dead' ?

thanks
--Nasser

Nasser M. Abbasi

Hello;

When I go to

http://www.java3d.org/

and try any applet there, I get an error classdef,
looking for 3D java classes.

I am using firefox 3.6.13 on windows 7.

It sounds like I need to install something somewhere :)

Any ideas what should one do?

On a related question, what is the status of Java 3D these
days? Is it still part of Java and is being updated, or
is it 'dead' ?

fyi

according to :

http://javatester.org/version.html

it tells me, using firefox, that I am using 1.6.0_23

--Nasser

Nasser M. Abbasi

fyi

according to :

http://javatester.org/version.html

it tells me, using firefox, that I am using 1.6.0_23

fyi

Just updated to 1.6.0_24, and nothing better with Java 3D.

The error I get from running the examples is

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/media/j3d/Node
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/media/j3d/Node
at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)

--Nasser

Nasser M. Abbasi

On 2/16/2011 3:12 PM, Jim Gibson wrote:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/tech/index-jsp-138252.html

Thanks, I did, install the above Java 3D.

Still it does not load.

Followed these instuctions:

http://www.java3d.org/howto.html

"For example, if you saved the files to C:\java3d then you would
add C:\java3d\lib\ext\j3dcore.jar;C:\java3d\lib\ext\j3dutils.jar;C:java3d\lib\ext\vecmath.jar
to your CLASSPATH and C:\java3d\j3d\bin to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
Restart your browser and you should be able to see the Java 3D applet."

(ofcourse I changed the path to where on my PC 3D was installed, which
is

C:\Program Files\Java\Java3D\1.5.1\lib\ext

Restarted browser, and still the above applet on the web page above
does not load.

I also tried Chrome browser, and same problem.

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/media/j3d/Node
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/media/j3d/Node
at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)

(it seems silly in this day and age for someone to
have to edit environment variables by hand after installation
of software? This is so 1990 thing

[...]

I think the problem is probably that some 3D applets do not
work with new versions of Java?

The reason I say that, becuase I went to some sites, with 3D applets
and some worked, and some do not.

this one did not work for me:

http://www.ph.biu.ac.il/~rapaport/java-apps/

this one did work for me:

http://www.ngsir.netfirms.com/englishhtm/Lissajous.htm

so, not sure what is the problem.

May be this is one reason, applets not used much these days. sometimes
they work, and sometimes they do not?

--Nasser