How to execute script in unix (remote server) via asp application?

nimhyea

What I'm trying to uncover is how to automate the running of certain
commands/scripts on a unix server via a Windows web server. The
overall idea is that a person goes to a web application and creates an
item. They enter a few key details and using those details as
parameters for the scripts I need to run, the backend of our web
server needs to send those commands to a remote unix server. A unix
account exists to do this manually, but can this be done
automatically? Again the web page is done entirely in ASP classic.

Thanks in advance.

Tim Slattery

What I'm trying to uncover is how to automate the running of certain
commands/scripts on a unix server via a Windows web server. The
overall idea is that a person goes to a web application and creates an
item. They enter a few key details and using those details as
parameters for the scripts I need to run, the backend of our web
server needs to send those commands to a remote unix server. A unix
account exists to do this manually, but can this be done
automatically? Again the web page is done entirely in ASP classic.

I did this a long time ago. It was a web system implemented as an
ISAPI DLL, written in C++. It connected to the Unix backend using
Telnet, and I wrote a C++ class that implemented the Telnet protocol.
I expect that you'd need a component to do this from an ASP page.

Gregory Bartholomew

I did something like that once as well, but I did it by opening a
bi-directional pipe with cygwin's ssh.exe (I found that I didn't have to
install cygwin on my server, I could just drop ssh.exe and a few of it's
required dll's into a folder) and I used a key to handle authentication
(sounds a little more secure than telnet, but maybe not if you are on a
private network or something).