    Can anyone show mw a way?

    thanks!
    -rich evans

    revansx, Oct 15, 2006

  2. revansx

    revansx Guest

    Hi Dave,

    Thanks for the quick reply.

    Isn't JScript a client-side scripting language?
    I really need to be able to do this on the server-side.
    ....or did I misunderstand your solution?

    - rich

    revansx, Oct 16, 2006

  3. No. JScript is a scripting language.
    ASP support several scripting languages, including vbscript and jscript,
    as well as others. See this for tips:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2045

    It is really incorrect to use "javascript" interchangeably with
    "client-side script". IE supports the use of both vbscript and jscript
    in client-side script. Other browsers only support javascript ... hence
    the propensity for using the terms interchangeable.
    Yes. He intended you to implement it in a server-side script block.

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Oct 16, 2006
  4. JScript is availabel as a scripting language in ASP. I use it exclusively.

    Now, I am not saying you need to change languages (though I think the
    benefits of using JScript for ASP are many). ASP actually allows you to use
    both languages in the same script. There are some rules to keep in mind,
    however.

    To begin with, understand that there are three distinctly different types of
    scripting blocks:

    1. <script runat="server" language="jscript"> ... </script>
    2. <script runat="server" language="vbscript"> ... </script>
    3. <% ... %>

    I will refer to #3 as "inline" from here on.

    When the script is parsed, the parser determines the language for inline
    scripting, then executes the blocks in the following order: 1-3-2 (if inline
    language is VBScript), or 2-3-1 (if JScript). HOWEVER, any block can call a
    function from any other block. It does not matter what order the blocks
    appear within the script.

    If you want to mix-and-match languages, then, it is a good practice to
    encapsulate the cross-language bits in functions:

    <%@Language=VBScript%><%

    Randomize
    Dim N : N = 100 * Rnd()
    Response.Write(FormatEXP(N,10))

    %>
    <script runat="server" language="jscript">
    function FormatEXP(n,d) {
    return n.toExponential(d)
    }
    </script>