How to generate local API documentation?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Stephan Dale, Jun 17, 2007.

  1. Stephan Dale

    Stephan Dale Guest

    Hi all.

    I'm fairly new to Ruby and I'm trying to generate a local copy of the
    docs for the core and standard API, as shown online at
    http://www.ruby-doc.org/

    I ran rdoc in my ruby installation directory (/usr/lib/ruby) but it ate
    all my memory so I had to kill it.

    Next, I ran rdoc in /usr/lib/ruby/1.8, which worked but produced
    documentation that doesn't contain details of certain parts of the
    language. For example, searching for "kind_of" reveals that the
    assert_kind_of (Test::Unit::Assertions) method is documented, but the
    kind_of? (Object) method isn't.

    How can I generate local documentation?

    Many thanks.

    Steph

    P.S. Note that I installed ruby with a doc use flag, so ri works
    properly, but I couldn't find any html documentation on my system.

    Stephan Dale, Jun 17, 2007

  2. Stephan Dale

    Stephan Dale Guest

    Well I've found out why I can't generate core API docs using rdoc -
    because Ruby is installed as a .so library, hence there are no .rb or .c
    for rdoc to parse.

    I've downloaded the documentation from
    http://www.ruby-doc.org/downloads/ but the ruby version is not exactly
    the same as the one I've got installed, which could obviously lead to
    problems in the future.

    Does anyone know whether there's any way I can generate html
    documentation from the ri docs or the .so libraries?

    Stephan Dale, Jun 18, 2007

  3. Stephan Dale

    Jano Svitok Guest

    Download source package (either one for your distribution or the
    "upstream" source tar from ruby-lang.org). Unpack anywhere (e.g. you
    home dir, /usr/src, /tmp,...). From the top directory (where all the
    c and .h files are located) run rdoc -o output_path, or add more
    arguments to finetune the output. When it's finished, you will have
    the docs in output_path. The -o argument is important, because rdoc by
    default creates directory "doc" but here the one is already created,
    so you have to point rdoc to some other place.

    J.

    Jano Svitok, Jun 18, 2007
  4. Stephan Dale

    Stephan Dale Guest