How to get index&summary of remote gem library

John

Is there a command or a file which can be downloaded which contains a
index&summary of the Remote GEM library?

A local file copy of the index&summary of the remote GEM library would
allow me to perform keyword searches of
the summary line when I am looking for a specific gem or source code.
The command "gem list -rd" never generates
any output or completes.

I am looking for a report with the following fields: gem_name,
gem_version, gem_summary

your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

John

Dhruva Sagar

Well you can simply do 'gem server'. That will start a server on your local
system on port 8808 by default, you can browse to this port and it will show
you what you are looking for.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Dhruva Sagar <http://dhruvasagar.net>

Become an expert in Rails. Join our 3 day Rails workshop and learn Ruby,
Rails 3, Cucumber and Git.
http://www.railspundit.com

Dhruva Sagar

Sorry that wasn't the correct answer. I replied to the wrong mail.

[...]

Ryan Davis

Is there a command or a file which can be downloaded which contains a
index&summary of the Remote GEM library?
=20
A local file copy of the index&summary of the remote GEM library would
allow me to perform keyword searches of
the summary line when I am looking for a specific gem or source code.
The command "gem list -rd" never generates
any output or completes.

Not strictly true... It's just doing a _lot_.

2169 % gem list -rdV

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

GET http://rubygems.org/latest_specs.4.8.gz
302 Found
GET http://production.s3.rubygems.org/latest_specs.4.8.gz
200 OK
GET http://rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/--1.gemspec.rz
302 Found
GET http://production.cf.rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/--1.gemspec.rz
200 OK
GET http://rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/10io-jekyll-0.10.0.gemspec.rz
302 Found
GET =
http://production.cf.rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/10io-jekyll-0.10.0.gem=
spec.rz
200 OK
GET http://rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/1234567890_-1.0.gemspec.rz
302 Found
GET =
http://production.cf.rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/1234567890_-1.0.gemspe=
c.rz
200 OK
GET http://rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/12_hour_time-0.0.3.gemspec.rz
302 Found
GET =
http://production.cf.rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/12_hour_time-0.0.3.gem=
spec.rz
200 OK

I am looking for a report with the following fields: gem_name,
gem_version, gem_summary

name and version are really easy. They're available locally via that =
first file latest_specs.4.8.gz. Summary unfortunately requires all those =
other gemspecs to download. Back in the day we had an index that could =
help you, but I don't think it is being created anymore.