How to get started? help ><

Weasel

Hey everyone,
My names John and i just recently joined this googl group, and I joined
because i need some help. I'm currently a Sophomore in High school and
i'm really interested in computer programming well i have been for
about 8 years... My brother graduated last year from UCR majoring
Computer science and he now works for a buisness programming... well
anyways i want to start programming, my brother gave me a c++ book he
used but i just dont know where to start.

I have Suse 9.0, i know only the most basic program but i still dont
know what those symbols and why those functions do what they do you
know?

My question is where, what, and how can i start learning C++, the book
my brother gave me doesnt explain the functions and symbols etc... so
im wondering if there is anything or anyone out there that can help me
and explain to me the functions of the basic programs and someone or
something that can teach me c++..

I really want to know the main things about C++ before i start
college..

Please please can anyone help me?

thanks,
Weasel

Mike Wahler

Weasel said:
Hey everyone,
My names John and i just recently joined this googl group,

Welcome!
Some comments below.
[...]

IMO C++ is probably not the best first language for
a beginner to programming. But if you insist, here's
some information (it's the FAQ for the 'learners' group,
"alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++"):

Sections 6 and 7 have links to learning resources.

Also there's the "C++ FAQ" (which will likely be 'over
the head' of a complete novice, but save this link for
later):
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

Finally, note that the art (and science) of computer programming
is not associated with any particular programming language or
computer platform. There's a lot of theory involved which
applies to all specific applications of programming. Try not
to get too obsessed with a particular language or system.

Most successful programmers know several languages and are
familiar with several hardware platforms and operating systems,
and (from experience) usually can assess which tool(s) (e.g.
language, OS, etc.) are best suited for particular tasks.
IMO Probably the closest 'synonym' for programming is
'problem solving', a large part of which is assessing which
tool(s) (e.g. skills and technology) can most effectively
solve problems. Always keep that in mind.
Please please can anyone help me?

Many people, including myself, who participate in this newsgroup
(as well as the 'learners' group I cited above), are ready and
willing to help you as you learn. But please first read the
FAQs at the links I mentioned to learn posting guidelines and
how to pose questions in a way that gets most effective results.

Good luck with your studies. I hope you enjoy programming
as much as I do.

-Mike

Alf P. Steinbach

[...]

I think you should consider buing the book "You can do it!" by Francis
Glasborow.

It's a complete beginner's book written in a very clear style by an
acknowledged C++ expert.

After that, or in addition, "Accelerated C++" by Koenig and (?) Moe.

andy

Weasel wrote:
[cut]
I really want to know the main things about C++ before i start
college..

Please please can anyone help me?

IMO the best way to start is by having a problem to solve. Maybe
converting a program in your current language(s) to C++ ( You might
then analyse whether its better in C++ or not ). If you document what
you have done too, it will come in very useful at the college
interview...

regards
Andy Little

BobR

Alf P. Steinbach wrote in message
After that, or in addition, "Accelerated C++" by Koenig and (?) Moe.

You're thinking of Larry, Curly and Moe (nyuk nyuk nyuk). <G>

.... by Andrew Koenig and Barbara Moo