Can't decide which language to get back into programming with

Joined
Mar 28, 2023
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I've programmed on and off for many years. Most all of it has been console programs. I'm really a dedicated guitarist so that is my main passion. But I developed an interest in programming many years ago, and it's stuck with me. But I've taken lots of time off. I think the last program I wrote was in Python and that was probably two years ago.

I can't decide what language to use to get back into it. I want to pretty soon start doing some programs that have a GUI interface.

Python would probably be the easiest to use. But I've always been fond of the C++/Java/C# syntax.

I've used Java, C++, C#, Python, and a long time ago Visual Basic.

Kind of a hard decision, but I can always use any additional language after I choose the initial one. Maybe that is the best way to look at it.

Joined
Jan 24, 2024
Messages
38
Reaction score
6
It sounds like you have a solid foundation in multiple programming languages, which is great! Since you're considering diving back into programming and want to explore GUI interfaces, here are a few considerations to help you decide:

  1. Python with Tkinter: Since you already have experience with Python, Tkinter provides a straightforward way to create GUI applications. Python's syntax is clean and easy to understand, making it an excellent choice for rapid development.
  2. Java with Swing or JavaFX: If you enjoy the syntax of Java, you might want to consider using Swing or JavaFX for GUI development. Java has robust libraries and tools for building desktop applications, and Swing/JavaFX provide a lot of flexibility in creating user interfaces.
  3. C# with WinForms or WPF: Since you mentioned being fond of C#, you could explore GUI development using WinForms or Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) in the .NET framework. C# integrates well with the Windows ecosystem and provides powerful tools for building desktop applications.
  4. C++ with Qt or GTK: If you prefer the syntax of C++ and want to build cross-platform GUI applications, Qt or GTK are popular choices. They offer extensive libraries and support for creating modern user interfaces across different operating systems.
Considering your familiarity with Python and your interest in C++/Java/C# syntax, Python with Tkinter might be a good starting point to ease back into programming and GUI development. Once you feel comfortable with that, you can explore other languages and frameworks based on your interests and project requirements. Remember, the most important thing is to choose a language and framework that you enjoy working with and that meets your project needs. Happy coding!