how to get the dropdown feature when using AutoCompleteExtender

rote

If you have a look at this site below you will notice that after typing some
text and the list is too long the textbox will give
you like a dropdown list
http://www.tuyr.net/AutoComplete/AutoComplete.aspx

How can i achieve this i have set all the properties on that page but still
don't get the dropdown list..when my list is too long
Or is there a way to page it etc..
Any ideas what 'm missing
Thanks in Advance

coolCoder

If you have a look at this site below you will notice that after typing some
text and the list is too long the textbox will give
you like a dropdown listhttp://www.tuyr.net/AutoComplete/AutoComplete.aspx

How can i achieve this i have set all the properties on that page but still
don't get the dropdown list..when my list is too long
Or is there a way to page it etc..
Any ideas what 'm missing
Thanks in Advance

There is a property to fetch limited number of records while doing
that.
By the way, have you given path of web service correctly ??

rote

Thanks for the prompt reply.
The snipped code below:-
If i can have it in a dropdlown list it would be nice though as the returned
list is too long or even have a
paging sort of.

<asp:TextBox ID="SearchText" CssClass="Ajaxtextbox" Width="150px"
runat="server" />

<toolkit:AutoCompleteExtender

ID="AutoCompleteSearch"

MinimumPrefixLength="1"

runat="server"

TargetControlID="SearchText"

ServicePath="SimpleListService.asmx"

ServiceMethod="LookUpEmployee"

EnableCaching="true"

CompletionInterval="10"

CompletionSetCount="20"

CompletionListCssClass="completionListElement"

CompletionListItemCssClass="listItem"

CompletionListHighlightedItemCssClass="highlightedListItem"

DelimiterCharacters=";"/>

SimplestListService.asmx
[WebMethod]
public string[] LookUpEmployee(string prefixText,int count)
{
count = 10;
string sql = "select distinct E.FirstName + ' ' + E.LastName AS [Name] from
Employee E where E.firstname like @prefixText order by [Name]";
SqlConnection cn = new SqlConnection();
DataTable dt = new DataTable();

cn.Open();
SqlDataAdapter da = new SqlDataAdapter(sql, cn);
try
{
da.SelectCommand.Parameters.Add("@prefixText", SqlDbType.VarChar,
50).Value = prefixText + "%";
da.Fill(dt);
}
finally
{
if (da != null)
{
da.Dispose();
}

if (cn != null)
{
if (cn.State == ConnectionState.Open)
{
cn.Close();
}
cn = null;

string[] items = new string[dt.Rows.Count];
int i = 0;
foreach (DataRow dr in dt.Rows)
{
items.SetValue(dr["Name"].ToString(),i);
i++;
}
return items;

Milosz Skalecki [MCAD]

Hi Rote,

If you're using page method instead of web service, the method must be static:

[System.Web.Services.WebMethod]
[System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptMethod]
public static string[] LookUpEmployee(string prefixText,int count)
{
// blahblah
}

I'm not sure if the ScriptManager should have EnablePageMethods set to true:
<asp:ScriptManager runat="server" ID="scriptManager"
EanblePageMethods="true"/>

hope this helps
--
Milosz

rote said:
[...]

Milosz Skalecki said:
Howdy,

Paste both aspx & vb.net/c# code.

rote

Thanks for the message Millosz but that didn't answer my question.
The page does work only i want the dropdownlist feature like on this page
type in som text and u will see the textboc change to dropdownlist

rote said:
[...]

Milosz Skalecki said:
Howdy,

Paste both aspx & vb.net/c# code.
--
Milosz

:

If you have a look at this site below you will notice that after
typing
some
text and the list is too long the textbox will give
you like a dropdown list
http://www.tuyr.net/AutoComplete/AutoComplete.aspx

How can i achieve this i have set all the properties on that page but
still
don't get the dropdown list..when my list is too long
Or is there a way to page it etc..
Any ideas what 'm missing
Thanks in Advance

Milosz Skalecki [MCAD]

Howdy,

Aplogies I missed there was a webservice in the code you posted. I can't
really understand the problem - are you able to see the list below your text
box at all? Or is just the "transition" effect we see on the sample control
toolkit page (i suspect is just dropDownExtender in conjunction with
Animations)?

Kind Regards
--
Milosz

rote said:
[...]

Yes Milosz thats what i'm talking about the
"transition" effect we see on the sample control
toolkit page
at http://www.tuyr.net/AutoComplete/AutoComplete.aspx
Any ideas???

Milosz Skalecki said:
[...]

Ho again,

As I had mentioned before, use Animations:

<cc1:AutoCompleteExtender runat="server" ID="ex"
ServiceMethod="GetText"
TargetControlID="txt">
<Animations>
<OnShow>