How to Machine A python script execute Machine B python script?

johnny

Anyone know how I can make Machine A python script execute a python
script on Machine B ?

Jay Loden

If you're running on a UNIX platform, one option would be to use SSH to execute the command remotely. Otherwise, you could also use a client/server setup to have the two scripts communicate across the network and trigger actions etc. It may also be possible to remotely execute an application on Windows using the win32api extensions, but I haven't any idea how you'd go about that. Perhaps others can chime in with detailed information if you let us know what kind of platform you're on and what you're trying to accomplish.

-Jay

Nick Craig-Wood

xmlrpc will work.

Or pyro

http://pyro.sourceforge.net/

Pyro is short for PYthon Remote Objects. It is an advanced and
powerful Distributed Object Technology system written entirely in
Python, that is designed to be very easy to use. Never worry about
writing network communication code again, when using Pyro you just
write your Python objects like you would normally. With only a few
lines of extra code, Pyro takes care of the network communication
between your objects once you split them over different machines on
the network. All the gory socket programming details are taken care
of, you just call a method on a remote object as if it were a local
object!

vasudevram

Or pyro

http://pyro.sourceforge.net/

Pyro is short for PYthon Remote Objects. It is an advanced and
powerful Distributed Object Technology system written entirely in
Python, that is designed to be very easy to use. Never worry about
writing network communication code again, when using Pyro you just
write your Python objects like you would normally. With only a few
lines of extra code, Pyro takes care of the network communication
between your objects once you split them over different machines on
the network. All the gory socket programming details are taken care
of, you just call a method on a remote object as if it were a local
object!
Right. Pretty easy to use. Go to the xml-rpc.com site to read about
it. Python has it included in the standard library, so you don't need
to get anything extra to use XML-RPC. And it works as advertised, more
or less - I recently wrote some simple servers and clients using
Python and XML-RPC.

Or SOAP (Google for "Python SOAP"). But not sure if SOAP is actively
supported for Python nowadays.

Or ICE - see www.zeroc.com. Haven't tried it out yet, but appears
interesting.
But it seems ICE has more overhead to setup (your ICE code, I mean,
not to install the software itself) than XML-RPC or Pyro. (It looks
like a lighter version of CORBA - some of the key people who created
it are ex-CORBA experts). Could possibly give better performance or
have more features, though ...

Also, XML-RPC, SOAP, and ICE are all interoperable with different
languages - meaning your server and client can be in different
languages; at least, XML-RPC and SOAP have support in many languages,
while ICE has it for at least for C++, C#, Java, Python, Ruby, PHP,
and Visual Basic (some of these have only support for clients, when I
last checked).

Vasudev Ram
http://www.dancingbison.com
http://jugad.livejournal.com