How to retrieve data using sql

Discussion in '.NET' started by mausimo, Oct 5, 2009.

  1. mausimo

    mausimo

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2009
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    What i am trying to do is retrieve the current date by using sql so that the date is dependant on the server, not the user's computer. Here is what i got:

    // create the data adapter
    SqlDataAdapter dataAdapter = new SqlDataAdapter("declare @Date datetime set @Date = getdate()", myCon);

    // create the DataSet
    DataSet dataSet = new DataSet();

    // fill the DataSet using our DataAdapter
    dataAdapter.Fill(dataSet);

    When i run this, it complies fine, however the dataset does not get any data.
    Im pretty sure my problem is that a DataSet is looking for a table of data, where this sql command does not return a table of data. I need something similar to this, i just want to retrieve the date from the server.

    mausimo, Oct 5, 2009