how to set Browser at Full Screen

richard

To All:

Thanks for your various views.

I have stumbled across the following which works properly in both IE and
FireFox:

onload="javascript:window.resizeTo(screen.width,screen.height);window.moveTo(0,0);">

If my javascript was functional it would work.
So does my close button.
Click. goodbye.

Nik Coughlin

richard said:
<snicker>
wrong guess.
<snicker>

Errors found while checking this document as HTML 4.01 Snide!
Validation Output:
1. Error Line 3, Column 0: end tag for "SNICKER" omitted, but its
declaration does not permit this.

Andy Dingley

    How do I (simply) set my client's browser to 'Full Screen' after loading
my page ??

We could tell you the codez to do this, but they'll be really hard to
type after your users have broken your fingers.

Just don't do this. Classic way to piss off your users. It used to be
a good way to do it, with increasingly common multi-screen setups it's
an _excellent_ way to do it. Do you really think that pissing off your
users is the best way to design a site? Why?

If I want a full-screen browser, I'll get one myself. My screen. Not
your choice.

Andy Dingley

    (and I'm not going to expose my URL to total ridicule until I've
finished screwing it up :))  )

URLs only get partial ridicule. We reserve our _total_ ridicule for
people who persist in asking "How do I do this?", 'You don't, it's a
bad idea', "Yes, but how do I do this?!"

rf

Andy said:
URLs only get partial ridicule.

Methinks that if the OP supplied a URL, given the attitue of the OP, said
URLwould be up for a fair bit of constructive ridicule.
We reserve our _total_ ridicule for
people who persist in asking "How do I do this?", 'You don't, it's a
bad idea', "Yes, but how do I do this?!"

Foot. Shoot.

Besides (and OP, take note) most modern browsers have as their out of the
box defaults settings that prevent this sort of skulduggery.

Mel Smith

Good morning (its now 8:35am, andI'm going golfing shortly):

After puzzling during the nite, it turns out that the following command
works nicely for my needs until I learn more:

<!--
.error {font-family: Arial; font-size: large; color: red}
body {width: 800px; min-width: 800px; font-family: Arial; font-size:
medium; background-color: blue; color: yellow}
h2 {background-color: blue; color: #FFFF00}
-->

This was mentioned in an earlier post, but in my haste I didn't notice
that the folding had disappeared (even though I had made my browser very
small).

I also note that '800' doesn't quite do the job, but 900 *does*, so I'll
cut down my screen verbiage until it filts

So, until I learn to code properly, I'll use the above.

Thank to all you folks who gave me the caustic but worthwhile advice.

-Mel

Mesa, Arizona

richard

Errors found while checking this document as HTML 4.01 Snide!
Validation Output:
1. Error Line 3, Column 0: end tag for "SNICKER" omitted, but its
declaration does not permit this.

richard

We could tell you the codez to do this, but they'll be really hard to
type after your users have broken your fingers.

Just don't do this. Classic way to piss off your users. It used to be
a good way to do it, with increasingly common multi-screen setups it's
an _excellent_ way to do it. Do you really think that pissing off your
users is the best way to design a site? Why?

If I want a full-screen browser, I'll get one myself. My screen. Not
your choice.

So like I've got this system of 16 monitors in a 4x4 setup.
Now does this mean then that ALL 16 monitors would show the single
page? i.e. 1/16 page per monitor?
Hey wait a minute, I can read that!

John Hosking

Mel said:
After puzzling during the nite, it turns out that the following command
works nicely for my needs until I learn more:

JFTR: sorry, nothing here constitutes a command. It's just some CSS.
(You didn't even include the markup.)
<!--

No need to use HTML comment delimiters in CSS these days.
.error {font-family: Arial; font-size: large; color: red}

What if I don't have Arial? Will your page still work with my browser's
default font?

What if "large" is too small for me?

What if my default BG color is red or black? If you set a color,
consider setting a background-color, too.
body {width: 800px; min-width: 800px; font-family: Arial; font-size:
medium; background-color: blue; color: yellow}

FYI: min-width isn't supported by IE6.
h2 {background-color: blue; color: #FFFF00}
-->

This was mentioned in an earlier post, but in my haste I didn't notice
that the folding had disappeared (even though I had made my browser very
small).

I also note that '800' doesn't quite do the job, but 900 *does*, so I'll
cut down my screen verbiage until it filts

Realizing, of course, that it whether it filts will depend on your
users' font sizes, typefaces, and other defaults matching your own
settings at all times. It might not always filt, you know.
So, until I learn to code properly, I'll use the above.

Now *there's* a slogan to put on a bumper sticker! :)
Thank to all you folks who gave me the caustic but worthwhile advice.

Thanks for taking it in good spirit (even if you didn't really follow it.)

Raymond Schmit

ummm... irrelevant? I thought the OP was talking about a web page running
within the context of a web browser, not a game :))

Ok .... i should have mentionned that a "Full Screen" is a special way
of coding with the Graphic card ... not accessible by the browser.

rf

Ok .... i should have mentionned that a "Full Screen" is a special way
of coding with the Graphic card ...

It's a function of the operating system. These days you don't get to "code
with the graphics card".
not accessible by the browser.

Press F11.

Neredbojias

Hi:

How do I (simply) set my client's browser to 'Full Screen' after
my page ??

In case nobody mentioned it yet, you don't.
(btw, on another more novice-oriented ng, I asked the same
question and
got told this morning: "Don't". However, my page (built by me - a
novice) looks crappy unless the screen is at (or nearly) full
screen.)

Thanks for any insights (or pointer to places in my books: 'HTML,
XHTML,
CSS' by Jon Duckett and 'Javascript - 5th Edition' by David
Flanagan).

However, I've supplied a fullscreen _option_ for almost a decade in
some pages, an example of which is:

http://raven.neredbojias.net/

Blinky the Shark

Mel said:
Hi:

How do I (simply) set my client's browser to 'Full Screen' after
my page ??

(btw, on another more novice-oriented ng, I asked the same question
and
got told this morning: "Don't". However, my page (built by me - a novice)
looks crappy unless the screen is at (or nearly) full screen.)

You were told right.

How do you know how big my screen is?

Further, how do you know how big my browser's viewport is, *within* that
screen? (Hint: I don't run any browsers full-screen.)

Answer: Don't code for the size viewport you run on *your* browser unless
you will be the only one viewing your web site.

rf

Raymond said:
I don't believe you for that point.

Well I don't see why not. Have you ever coded such applications as browsers,
or such things as video drivers?. I have.

<background>
The window is under control of the operating system. Those three things (I'm
talking Windows here) at top right of the window, the minimize, maximize and
close buttons, they are owned by the operating system. They are part of the
window supplied to the application by the OS, the non-client part of the
window. The application does stuff with the client area. I assume MAC stuff
is the same.

If the user presses one of them, say the maximize (or full-screen) button
the application (the browser you have written) does not even know. All you
get is a WM_PAINT message. You have to interrogate the OS to find out if you
are in full screen mode or not (if you even care) or intercept the special
non-client family of windows messages.

Same for the minimize and restore buttons. A common or garden variety of
application will not even know, or care, if it has been, say, minimized. It
*may* query its minimized/normal state if it needs to save state information
for the next instantiation but for day to day operations it will/should not
care. The OS gives it a window with a client area and it paints in that
client area.
</background>

As to "coding the graphics card" you don't. You make calls to the OSs GUI
API and the OS eventually, after several layers, makes calls to the video
driver which then interacts with the video card hardware. You, as a
application (say browser) developer have absolutely no way in wich to
interact with the graphics card itself. The OS simply does not allow you to
do so. Interacting with the hardware (the graphics card) is part of the
arcane art of driver development, a level far below that if application
development.
F11 did not put the webpage in FullScreen ..... it's still windowed.

Which browser? Works for me in IE, FF and just about every other browser I
have (except lynx of course). Screenshot?

And yes, of course it's still windowed, but it is a full screen window, just
as you would get if you pressed the operating systems full screen button,
centre of the top right buttons. Yes, it is a little different because the
application has processed the F11 keypress and chooses to do a bit more than
the OS does when the fullscreen button is clicked.

Then again if you are using a MAC I simply don't know.

Bergamot

rf said:
And yes, of course it's still windowed, but it is a full screen window

Not that it really matters, but I think he is talking about the case
where PC games take over the entire screen - no (visible) window and no
title bar across the top with the 3 buttons you referred to. He seems to
think there is something relevant about this mode vs a full screen
window. In the world of browsers, it's irrelevant. His idea of "full
screen" is not what the OP was referring to, either.

Raymond Schmit

Not that it really matters, but I think he is talking about the case
where PC games take over the entire screen - no (visible) window and no
title bar across the top with the 3 buttons you referred to. He seems to
think there is something relevant about this mode vs a full screen
window. In the world of browsers, it's irrelevant. His idea of "full
screen" is not what the OP was referring to, either.

You are true - that was my speaking.

Anyway ... I think that we should let the end-user decide what he
want.
I had speaking about "where PC games take over the entire screen"
......thinking that what will happen if a website develloper is able on
his site to " take over the entire screen" .... :)