How to set up SMTP server on "local" XP Pro machine?

Kikoz

Hi all.

I'm using one PC/XP Pro as my development environment. Its IIS has one
default web site, of course, which is the site I'm working on. When some
feature is finished I deploy it to my "production" site which is hosted
somewhere else. Very common situation, I guess.
This app uses email to notify customers of some particular events. Works on
production, but sometimes I need to change something in the way those
notifications work. Currently I have to upload the changes to "production"
to check it out. Is there any way for me to set up smtp server on my local
machine so I could work locally with those features? I suppose it's a silly
question but I wasn't able to figure it out by myself :)

Articles/sites with instructions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Kikoz.

Chris Austin

Kikoz,

Unless otherwise installed differently, by default the "Default SMTP Virutal
Server" should be setup on your development XP box. You can find it if you
go into "Computer Management" under Services and Applications -> INternet
Information Services -> Default SMTP Virtual Server

You might have to right click on "Default SMTP Virtual Server" select
"Properties", then the "Access" tab. Click on the "Relay..." button and
change the selection to "All except the list below"

Also, I am assuming that your dev box is behind a firewall so that way you
don't put a box on the network that will relay to any e-mail address from
any e-mail address.

Then to send you message just using code like:

SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "localhost";
SmtpMail.Send(fromAddress, toAddress, subject, message);

HTH

-Chris
~
http://weblogs.austinspad.com/caustin