How to update a LoginStatus control embedded in a cached page.

helveticus

I am struggling to allow a LoginStatus control reflect its changed
state when embedded in a cached page.

All pages in my app share a common login user control that basically
consists of a LoginStatus ctl and a welcome text. On every refresh,
the welcome text is rendered fine via a substitution control.

The problem arises with the LoginStatus. Since the LoginStatuscontrol
cannot be wrapped within a substitution control, it cannot be
updated.

Question: Is there a work-around to update a LoginStatus embedded in a
cached page? At present, I am forced to disable caching at the page
level.

TIA for any hints. (Note: Pages are built around a master/details
scheme.)