How would you go about creating recurring appointments? ASP/SQL Server

gil

I initially tried building a coded system where numbers 1 through 10
referenced a certain type of recurring appointment, and would then call a
specific function for each, but as more appointments were added things began
to slow down quite a bit. I've taken a different approach since, and decided
to create a single record for each recurring appointment, but this has
problems as well due to the fact that I have to search each time slot going
all the way out to the specified end date/time.

What is the most efficient way to create recurring appointments using ASP
and SQL Server?

Thanks

Chris Hohmann

gil said:
I initially tried building a coded system where numbers 1 through 10
referenced a certain type of recurring appointment, and would then call a
specific function for each, but as more appointments were added things
began
to slow down quite a bit. I've taken a different approach since, and
decided
to create a single record for each recurring appointment, but this has
problems as well due to the fact that I have to search each time slot
going
all the way out to the specified end date/time.

What is the most efficient way to create recurring appointments using ASP
and SQL Server?

Thanks
There's a nice disucssion of recurring events in this article:
http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2519

Phil

Thanks for the reply. How would you recommend checking to see if an
appointment is available or not?
Would you first lookup all the dates in the auxiliarly table (depending on
the complexity of the pattern) and then build a new query from there?

Thanks again

Chris Hohmann

Phil said:
Thanks for the reply. How would you recommend checking to see if an
appointment is available or not?
Would you first lookup all the dates in the auxiliarly table (depending on
the complexity of the pattern) and then build a new query from there?

Join the set of potential recurring events with the set of existing events.
If the resultset is empty, then there are no conflicts.

gil

Chris Hohmann said:
Join the set of potential recurring events with the set of existing events.
If the resultset is empty, then there are no conflicts.

Thank you, that worked great.