Href Links in Dynamic table

webmaniac

Hi,

I am creating a table dynamically in javascript.

All is fine but when I try to put any ahref link on the cell its not
taking it. I am doing like that.
var rowHead1 = document.createElement('TR');
var CellHead1 = document.createElement('TD');
var text1 = "<a href=http://www.google.com>" + someVariable + "</a>
var cellHeadText1 = document.createTextNode(text1);
CellHead1.appendChild(cellHeadText1);

But somehow when I run this example.
It shows like that in Table cell.

Its not converting it into a Link.

Any Idea, what's going wrong here.

Erwin Moller

webmaniac schreef:
Hi,

I am creating a table dynamically in javascript.

All is fine but when I try to put any ahref link on the cell its not
taking it. I am doing like that.
var rowHead1 = document.createElement('TR');
var CellHead1 = document.createElement('TD');
var text1 = "<a href=http://www.google.com>" + someVariable + "</a>
var cellHeadText1 = document.createTextNode(text1);
CellHead1.appendChild(cellHeadText1);

But somehow when I run this example.
It shows like that in Table cell.

Its not converting it into a Link.

Any Idea, what's going wrong here.

Hi,

Not sure, but shouldn't you at least quote the hyperlink properly?
Like this:
var text1 = "<a href='http://www.google.com'>" + someVariable + "</a>";

Regards,
Erwin Moller

-- C.A.R. Hoare

webmaniac

webmaniac schreef:

Hi,

Not sure, but shouldn't you at least quote the hyperlink properly?
Like this:
var text1 = "<a href='http://www.google.com'>" + someVariable + "</a>";

Regards,
Erwin Moller

-- C.A.R. Hoare

I tried that too, but it still dont work.
I dont know, where I am getting wrong.

Gregor Kofler

webmaniac meinte:
I tried that too, but it still dont work.
I dont know, where I am getting wrong.

Why should it? Anchors are not text nodes. Something like

var a = document.createElement("a");
a.href = "...";
a.appendChild(document.createTextNode("whatever");
CellHead1.appendChild(a);

Your "approach" requires to fill the (non-standard) innerHTML property
of CellHead1.

Gregor

Erwin Moller

webmaniac schreef:
I tried that too, but it still dont work.
I dont know, where I am getting wrong.

Ahum, sorry.

You know this feeling you are knew how something worked but totally
cannot retieve it?
I just had that great experience again, but a little googling helped.

You need to create the hyperlink element first ('a') and append that.
this is the trick:
var aElem = document.createElement('a');

Here is a sample from:
http://acsummer.wordpress.com/2007/12/29/quick-answer-dynamically-adding-a-hyperlink/

function appendLink()
{
//Get the element that we want to append to
var divEl = document.getElementById('link_div');
//Create the new <a>
var aElem = document.createElement('a');
aElem.href="http://www.google.com";
//Create a text node to hold the text of the <a>
var aElemTN = document.createTextNode('link to Google.com');
//Append the <a> text node to the <a> element
aElem.appendChild(aElemTN);
//Append the new link to the existing <div>
divEl.appendChild(aElem);
}

That should help. :p

Regards,

[...]