html 5

Lipstikk

I see the next html-version at the horizon (
http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/node/166 ). From what I understand, w3c
will merge the works of the xhtml- and html-groups into a completely new
group who will develop the html5-recommendation. I think this is good since
there is a widely spread misunderstanding of what xhtml actually is: Html
4.01. A xhtml 1.0 document *is* a html 4.01 document, though putting it the
other way around is not true. IMO a web-publisher who wants to publish a
html-document should not have to know the difference between XML and SGML?

Html5 will be xml-based, but should a web-designer really have to know how
to provide stuff like DOCTYPE declerations and xml-namespaces?

I think it should. It's simple and straightforward. Missing tags, the
DOCTYPE decleration and xml-namespaces would then be implied. A browser
easily understands this and may also add the missing parts in the document
before showing it to a user. The resulting html then being something like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "html 5" "http://html5.dtd">
<head>
<title>[URI]</title>
</head>

Can't see why this is a bad idea.

As long as I can remember a lot of web-designers has used the table-tag to
suggest a desired layout of their content on the screen. This has been
considered wrong and ugly by some. Guess I've considered it *not quite
right, although creative*. Well let there be light. Let there be a new tag.
Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce to you the new <layout>-element. How it
works? Well apart from not really *working* in any particular way, here's an
example:

<layout>
<lr>
<ld><b>No no, this is not separating structure from
presentation!</b></ld>
<ld>Say what?</ld>
</lr>
<lr>
<ld><b>You are supposed to structure your content and separate it from
presentation!</b></ld>
<ld>Oh, well, I always do that. You say I don't? How come?</ld>
</lr>
<lr>
<ld><b>You're mixing in presentational information in your html,
presentational tags are yesterdays news. Now you are supposed to use CSS to
"style" your documents.</b></ld>
<ld>Why are you telling me what I'm supposed to do all the time? Why
aren't you telling me what I can or cannot do? You can't get much more
structural than the layout-element, would you rather see me using the
table-element? Now that would be confusing wouldn't it? By the way, what is
CSS?</ld>
</lr>
<lr>
</lr>
</layout>

Simple, straightforward and needed.

Lo'oris

well i hate useless end tags (such as </td>) so if they make those
mandatory, i'll stick with html 4