html, how do I...?

Joe Magiera

I'm a very basic .html user, and I don't use any extra tools either.
I pretty much just write plain html code in MS Notepad. Please keep
that in mind if you think you can help.

I have a fairly simple, but somewhat lengthy MS Excel table that I'd
like to display on a web page. I've written some pretty simple .html
tables, but I'd like to import the MS Excel table into html without
having to code all the html around it. I believe I can just save the
Excel file as an html file and that will solve that. One thing I
would like to do though is to "freeze" the Excel column titles, i.e.,
the top 1 or 2 rows of the file, so that when the user scrolls through
the table, the column titles will stay present. I know this is
possible because I've seen it, but I have no idea how to do this. Any
guidance/tips/advice/learning you can provide would be much
appreciated. Thanks,

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
(e-mail address removed)

1

123Jim

[...]

This looks useful:
http://anaturb.net/csstips/sheader.htm

I recommend you use use LibreOffice or OpenOffice to convert your
Spreadsheet to HTML instead of Excel as it produces cleaner mark-up

Jukka K. Korpela

I have a fairly simple, but somewhat lengthy MS Excel table that I'd
like to display on a web page.

Are you sure you want to do that, instead of letting people extract the
data they want from it? Generally, a decent query form is better than
bulky data, though more complicated to set up (especially the data
retrieval part server-side).
I've written some pretty simple .html
tables, but I'd like to import the MS Excel table into html without
having to code all the html around it.

I'm afraid there's no really simple way. You would need to save the data
as Tab Separated Values for example, then convert that to simple HTML,
and use some general HTML and CSS code to dealt with the explanations
and presentation. The following dusty old page might be of some help:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/TSV.html
I believe I can just save the
Excel file as an html file and that will solve that.

No, it will create just a bunch of problems - the newer the Excel
version, the more extensive the problems. You can see this if you try
that and test the result in various browsing conditions. If you look at
the source, be prepared to getting shocked.
One thing I
would like to do though is to "freeze" the Excel column titles

It seems that the "HTML" vomited by Excel, despite being complex and
messy, does not even try to address that issue, even in an IE-dependent
manner.

There are various ways to freeze a table row in HTML and CSS, but they
all have drawbacks. I'll try to dig my archives to find out what might
be the most reasonable way.

Ray_Net

[...]

Have you looked at
http://anaturb.net/csstips/sheader.htm ?

Kristjan Robam

Joe Magiera said:
[...]

I think that you should find just a programmer, who does
it's work not very expensevly and this way solve your problems here.

Kristjan