HTTP1.1 500 Server Error

llevi

I've had this error for months:

When trying to open a new asp .net project under .net 2003, i get the
following error:
The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or
open the Web project located at the following URL: HTTP1.1 500 Server Error>
Does anyone know how to, DEFINITIVELY, resolve this problem/error? If so,
please help me. As I have indicared, I have been experiencing this error for
months - I am just about ready to junk this software! Please reply directly
to me at (e-mail address removed).

Thanks

rbaier

I'm interested in a resolution for this problem also. I have a brand
new, clean development machine running XP Pro and SP2 with VS 2003 and
the latest .NET framework. I've tried every suggested resolution I
could find (opening up permissions, reinstalling IIS, etc) and nothing
has worked. New suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

llevi

Yes, to both. I am trying to create a new asp .net project, yes, I am using
front page extensions.
Any help is appreciated

llevi

What suggested resolutions have you tried? It may be that those may work
for me. Thanks

Juan T. Llibre

Have you tried not using FrontPage extensions and, instead, using file-based permissions ?

Frontpage Server Extensions (FPSE) are no longer required for IIS web applications.

Visual Studio 2005 has built-in support for editing and updating remote web projects
using the standard File Transfer Protocol (FTP). You can connect to a remote Web site
using FTP within the New Web Site and Open Web Site dialog box.

Using the "Publish website" feature lets you deploy websites without FPSE.

llevi

Forgive my naivete, but how do I NOT use Frontpage Extensions in VS 2003?
Be specific, please

llevi

No I have not tried reinstalling front page extensions. The host environment
is IIS 5.1 on XP Pro.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Forgive my naivete

Please don't play coy.

re:
how do I NOT use Frontpage Extensions in VS 2003?

I didn't read your original message saying you were
using VS 2003 because I have been away on a trip.

I assumed you were using VS 2005.

I was trying to help you, even if I missed your original post.
I'm beginning to be sorry I tried to.

llevi

Please, you are totally misinterpreting my remarks. I really meant "how do I
not use Frontpage Extensions". I was not being coy, smart or anything else.
I really do need the help!. Un saludo, honesto y de corazon!

Juan T. Llibre

OK, llevi.

I only thought that my reply was clearly marked
as referring to VS 2005 and not to VS 2003.

re:
Un saludo, honesto y de corazon!

Y un saludo devuelto, sincero de corazon!

Back to the point : you do need FP extensions to publish VS 2003 websites.

Maybe upgrading to VS 2005 would be in order,
if you want to publish websites without FP extensions.

If you don't have access to VS 2005, VWD 2005 is a good substitute.

VWD 2005 is free, this year, and so is the .Net Framework 2.0.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vwd/download/default.aspx

llevi

OK,

Ultimately, I did what you suggested - I installed VWD 2005 ( did hot have
VS 2005), all is well, so far. Thanks for your help, and if you ever hear
about a solution to myy problem, please let me know.

llevi

Ok, I give up. After months of dealing with this problem, listening and
trying this and then that, and then the other, still NOTHING HAS WORKED! Are
you listening gurus? NOTHING HAS WORKED!. All you apologists for Microsoft
(and until today I was one of them) should read into this carefully: NOTHING
HAS WORKED!
Regardless of what you say, I should be able to , CLEANLY, remove and
re-install ANY software without sepending the better part of a year to no
avail. I challenge you all to come up with a DEFINITIVE answer. I doubt that
you can. At any rate, Good luck! Thanks to all for your help.
Levi out!

duck

I had the same problem, but it was instantly solved when I got the
latest updates for .Net Framework from Microsoft Update.

Joined
Oct 12, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
re:

llevi said:
I've had this error for months:

When trying to open a new asp .net project under .net 2003, i get the
following error:
The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or
open the Web project located at the following URL: HTTP1.1 500 Server Error>
Does anyone know how to, DEFINITIVELY, resolve this problem/error? If so,
please help me. As I have indicared, I have been experiencing this error for
months - I am just about ready to junk this software! Please reply directly
to me at (e-mail address removed).

Thanks

I had the same problem with my local dir, c:\asp and IIS. What I noticed was that when I would create a new directory like c:\test and set the virtual directory in IIS to that, it worked. So I thought, let's delete the local directory that doesn't work (c:\asp) and add it again, guess what..it worked. I don't know why, doesn't make sense.

Joined
Apr 2, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Here how you solve it

Just rename the file use names that dont require full stops just try to name the files as plain text. :captain: